Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Workin on a Force 85 HP engine..hey at least it's a chrysler engine..hehe. Well anyways, the thing overheats. I changed the impeller in the water pump, checked for any clogged passages between the pump and the engine, all clear. Thermostat is good. When I pump water directly into the thermostat area it comes out of the exhaust area, which i've heard is normal. When I had the lower unit off, and I spun the propeller with it in gear to turn the shaft, it pumped water. I tried spraying water with the hose into the water intakes with the lower unit off, and it was pumping some of it up through the tube. So. Water pump works, so WTF is wrong? Oh btw, I'm using those ear muff lookin things when I run the engine, but it sprays everywhere..coudl it not be getting a good enough seal? Or could the water intakes be somewhat clogged and it's not letting enough through to pump up the engine? I'm stumped.

Sean

·
7,995 Posts
I don't know a thing about boat engines so if it were me I would try a post at this site and see if you get an answer?
www.boatfix.com/default.asp

·
Registered
145 Posts
i fought the same type problem with a 100 horse evinrude
for a long time ended up finging a 3/16 square hole in the coolant pipe above the water pump on the back side was a real pita to find

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turned out that the muffs for the water intakes we got just weren't getting a good enough seal, got some different ones and it worked perfectly.

Sean

G

·
Darn, ya beat me too it. Be careful diagnosing water pump problems while you're force feeding it with the hose. If you can, stick the lower unit in a water filled 55 gal drum and let the pump suck up the water normally. Don't put it in gear while it's in the drum though. You'll drown

1 - 5 of 5 Posts