Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pic, from above, of the valve body area of my new 727. The little shifter lever has a linkage, but the pressure lever dosn't and thats all there is. So, I'm going to buy some kinda shifter (B&M?), but I need to know what to get for the kickdown lever and cable. If I get a kickdown cable from summit will it connect to the pressure lever or is it mising a linkage? Arg, its annoying. Hope someone knows what I'm talking about.
http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=8572059&selected=197780

·
Registered
88 Posts
That would be all there is. the shift lever is hooked up through mechanical linkage to the column and the throttle lever should be hooked up to the carb by the throttle rod/kickdown rod assembly. there aren't any levers missing just the throttle rod linkage.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Or instead of spending $50 for that go to the junkyard and get the kickdown linkage off a donor truck for a few bucks.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Is it a 2bbl or 4bbl carb? Depending on which is it, you would need to find the appropriate linkage.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
No, not any of them will work. You need to get them off a 4 bbl truck...not a van or car. Trust me...I have several here that don't work cuz they are not off trucks.

And as to the carb, make sure you have the chrysler throttle lever adapter, of that the carb is mae for a chrysler. I have a carter afb also, sittign on the shelf........thay are made for chrysler if you bought the correct one new, and if you got it used, you may have to call them to find the lever.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I have been down this road many times before. You must have the absolutely correct linkage rod, throttle cable bracket, and also brackets on the carb to make the factory setup work correctly. Even though a aftermarket cable is more expensive it is 0 headaches to make it work. It will work with any setup and it is easy to adjust. It is a cable so there is no linkage or clearance issues.
The LOKAR kickdown cable is what I ordered for my RC after I swapped to a later model Magnum engine. The throttle cable bracket MP sells for there carb Magnum manifold has no provision for a kickdown lever!! That sucks so I have to use a cable. What really torques me is that nobody make a reasonably priced kick down cable kit.
The LoKar cable is some braded stainless and polished peice. This isn't going on the space shuttle!
Mancini Racing has some cable kick down kits but theres are more than the Lokar kit!!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Its really best to use the Chrysler throttle adaptor. The ratio of the hole your using isn't the same as the original chrysler carb. Do a search under Lokar and post that i've made and you will find some pics on this site that i've posted of the Lokar kit installed on a 360 with a edelbrock carb.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I'll buy the Lokar cable and see if that works. Maybe I'll see if I can get some of my spare bike parts together and make another cable based on the Lokar, maybe start selling them for cheaper.
I always gotta wonder why the factory has to make everything more complicated then it has to be. I mean, who would think to use a bunch of linkages for the kickdown instead of a simple, universal cable? Then there's the CAD, another case where a cable woulda been a lot simpler, cheaper, and more reliable. And from what I've read Chevy's version of CAD is even more over-complicated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts