Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming I keep the RamCharger (I hope I hope I hope!!), I think the next big thing will be to paint it and to do that I need to remove all the trim tabs and I think to do that I would use the Dremel to cut them back and then an angle grinder to smooth the surface.

The question would be do I want a really good angle grinder or would a cheap one from Harbor Freight be good enough?

I already have a tool bag full of Ryobi battery operated tools so the battery operated Ryobi would fit right in. This and another battery would probably suffice for the light duty that I need.

But then again the corded Harbor Freight ones are half the price and never need recharge.

Father's Day is coming up doncha know!!  8)

Whatcha think?

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I bought a Harbor Freight one and it was fine for cutting bolts/nuts/etc.  I had it for a couple years then used it once when it ran straight for 15 minutes or so.  It died.

I went out and bought a Dewalt one and have never had a problem.

They were both corded.....I have no experience with cordless tools other than the Makita drill I picked up in the return bin at Home Depot.

·
Administrator
60,516 Posts
Look into the corded ryobi one, you will be more then happy. And its not a whole lot more then the HF one.

Do not buy the battery Ryobi one, it is only good for small stuff. run it with the new lithium batteries, then it wakes up a bit, but now  you are talking a good investment in batteries, and tools, and still not as good as the corded one.

·
Administrator
60,516 Posts
Unclebull said:
Father's Day is coming up doncha know!! 8)
just a side note.

HD online has this deal in stock right now.

it comes with the trimmer, the blower, the big lithium battery $89 value, and the multi charger $39 value, all for $119, with free shipping.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Trimmers-Accessories/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xlaZblot/R-202188225/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The lithium battery will make your one+ sawsall come alive. Even the small lithium battery, has more power, and lasts longer then the yellow top battery's.

The trimmer & the blower are only medium duty deals, but they will do a decent job.

Think quick, the whole deal, will be out of stock by tomorrow night.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responces!

I just looked at the Ryobi lithium batteries, they cost more than the tools!! They cost more than the bag of Ryobi tools!!

HF is still in the running, corded is still in the running, I have some time to make up my mind.

Thanks again.

Bill

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
If you're just removing the trim tabs,you don't really need a grinder. Just get a set of vice grips and clamp them on the tab so that the pliers are parallel to the panel,and carefully twist the tab off. You'll be left with just a small divot that just requires a bit of filler. I read about this in a magazine a few years ago (car craft maybe?) and did this when i removed the trim on my '87. It worked fine.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not_A_Blazer said:
If you're just removing the trim tabs,you don't really need a grinder. Just get a set of vice grips and clamp them on the tab so that the pliers are parallel to the panel,and carefully twist the tab off. You'll be left with just a small divot that just requires a bit of filler. I read about this in a magazine a few years ago (car craft maybe?) and did this when i removed the trim on my '87. It worked fine.
So I won't need a new tool?

Twisting the tab off sounds easier than grinding it off with less finishing.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
If you do decide to go with a grinder for whatever reason, pick up a Flap Disc:

When working with sheetmetal, a normal grinding wheel will usually do more damage that will have to be filled later. A Flap Disc can make short work of things like the trim studs and can be used without worrying about it gouging the metal so quickly. It will still eat it's way through a metal panel in a hurry so you have to be careful but not near as bad as a coarse grinding wheel. You may not think these will eat metal as good as they do but we use them all the time to clean up welds and polish smooth joints and clean up grind marks left by grinding wheels.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice and the links, if I can twist them off instead of grinding them, maybe I will hold off on buying the tool and use the money to buy the premium Rustoleum.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
On that ryobi weedwhacker/blower combo. My girlfriend picked that up last month.  They are light dury tools, but can get the job done.  I still use the gas weedwhacker, but the blower is handy. The best part is that it comes with a much larger battery then the ones that came with my other ryobi tools.  The smaller batteries for your drill will last <5 minutes in those tools.

On the angle grinder, if the truck project is all you really need it for, then get the HF one.  If you think youl use it more then once in a while, get any name brand.  My HF is still going strong, but it is pretty loud, and you can hear/feel the slop in the bearings and gears. Vibrates alot more.  I diddnt think it was too awful bad untill i used my brothers makita. Night and day.

Ones $20, the other is $100+  You get what you pay for here.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Asymetric said:
Ones $20, the other is $100+ You get what you pay for here.
Thanks, ain't that the truth!!

Appreciate the post.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
If you do go with HF, get the orange one and not the blue one. Then clean out the grease from the inside.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fal308 said:
If you do go with HF, get the orange one and not the blue one. Then clean out the grease from the inside.
Clean out the grease!

Thanks, I guess that is what the can of brake cleaner is good for!!

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
Elwenil said:
If you do decide to go with a grinder for whatever reason, pick up a Flap Disc:

When working with sheetmetal, a normal grinding wheel will usually do more damage that will have to be filled later. A Flap Disc can make short work of things like the trim studs and can be used without worrying about it gouging the metal so quickly. It will still eat it's way through a metal panel in a hurry so you have to be careful but not near as bad as a coarse grinding wheel. You may not think these will eat metal as good as they do but we use them all the time to clean up welds and polish smooth joints and clean up grind marks left by grinding wheels.
X100 on that one El. {yes}

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
The magic word is Metabo

They aren't the cheapest things to buy. But, I only used to think brands like Makita and DeWalt had good grinders until I had a chance to use a 6" Metabo grinder one time.

They can be found for around $100 for the 4" 8.0 amp 10,000RPM grinder on up to close to $200 for the 6" 12.0 amp 9-10,000RPM grinders. You can also find them in the 9 and 10 inch wheel of death range as well if you really need something that size.

Eric

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I guess I'll be the only one to say this:

I love milwaukee power tools. Everyone I've used takes abuse and keeps coming back for more. I love 'em and if you're gonna drop a $100 bill on a grinder...

milwaukee grinder

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.