Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The RC I bought isnt running yet Im going thru it before i power it up. One thing I noticed right off the batt was the am meter is missing. So I pulled the dash apart the wires that should hook to the meter are bolted together and taped. (One of the reasons if ya buy one thats not running check it before ya try to start it) I called the dealer for a new one they laughed :-\ and told me to call a wrecking yard. None local have one (that I tried anyhow) Finaly a Question! Will a aftermarket gauge work in the fctory position or do i need to search around a little more ???

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
yes it will, but it will require a bit of modificatin. I repalced all of my factory gages except the speedo and fuel gage with aftermarket ones, and put them inthe same place.

if you need a factory gage, what year is yers ?? I may have one laying around for a 79.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i'm not sure if it'll work but I found amp meters for the M880 at www.saturnsurplus.com . someone else had put up a link for this place and i found a BUTTLOAD of parts for my PW so who knows they might have one that will work for you....

·
7,995 Posts
wyattells said:
The RC I bought isnt running yet Im going thru it before i power it up. One thing I noticed right off the batt was the am meter is missing. So I pulled the dash apart the wires that should hook to the meter are bolted together and taped. (One of the reasons if ya buy one thats not running check it before ya try to start it) I called the dealer for a new one they laughed :-\ and told me to call a wrecking yard. None local have one (that I tried anyhow) Finaly a Question! Will a aftermarket gauge work in the fctory position or do i need to search around a little more ???
Well as usual your dealer is an a*shole...there are still tons of brand new original ammeters avaialable out there. ebay will have some, saturnsurplus and many dealers still have them in stock.

Part # 3635172

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I would convert to a voltmeter and do away with the charging wire running through the cab. Its much safer that way and more reliable. Amp meters only show a charge or discharge but don't show if its overcharging. Voltmeter will show and overcharge and undercharge.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, 300 le...I have both in my dash......makes it easy to determine electrical problems......

And yes Chump...I have found several dealers that are too lazy to REALLY look for parts...or like if it is for a 79, they are too lazy to cross reference the old part number to the new one.

Do you have a good part number for the water pump bypass hose fitting in the intake ??? That 1 1/8" pipe nipple that goes there under the thermostat ??? If ya can find one, I'd like to have it so I can go shove it up someone's nose.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I have both, cuz one tells me when the alternator is dying, and the other tells me when the battery is dying......

and if you do put in an aftermarket one, the factory leads are backwards......kinda threw me for a loop when I put mine in.

·
29,451 Posts
In my 86, I also left my ammeter functional, but it is the newer design that uses a shunt resistor under the hood, and doesn't require the full amperage of the alternator to pass through it, and the firewall.
But, If I had the older design, or just a failed ammeter, I wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
yes the ampmeter wires are backwards on aftermarket guages.... i put when i put mine in i reversed the wires and it said a discharge at 2500 rpm... and a charge with the lights on and the engine not runnin... so just make sure your wires are correct!

·
7,995 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
Well, 300 le...I have both in my dash......makes it easy to determine electrical problems......

And yes Chump...I have found several dealers that are too lazy to REALLY look for parts...or like if it is for a 79, they are too lazy to cross reference the old part number to the new one.

Do you have a good part number for the water pump bypass hose fitting in the intake ??? That 1 1/8" pipe nipple that goes there under the thermostat ??? If ya can find one, I'd like to have it so I can go shove it up someone's nose.
Any of these look familier? Probably the one you want is Mopar part number 1947643 but I would have to research it some more.

NAPA part numbers

Item#: BK 6601507
Price: $ 7.49
Attributes: Heater Fitting
Style Name: Straight Fitting
Hose Size: 5/8'' Slotted Head
Thread Size: 3/8'' Male NPT
Angle Degree: Straight Fitting
Hex Size: Slotted Head
Type of Packaging: Boxed
Comments:
5/8" Hose X 3/8" Male Pipe Thread
Straight

Item#: BK 6601548
Price: $ 10.69
Style Name: 45 deg Fitting
Hose Size: 5/8''
Angle Degree: 45 deg Fitting
Comments:
45 Degree Elbow

Item#: BK 6601512
Comments:
Water Pump to Heater

Item#: BK 6601508
Thread Size: 1/2'' Male NPT
Comments:
5/8" Hose X 1/2" Male Pipe Thread
Straight

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok that explains why the bezel and back of the cluster was melted. Looks like i need to do some rewiring and corect the problem properly. Thank you for the info
Wyatt

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
wyattells said:
ok that explains why the bezel and back of the cluster was melted. Looks like i need to do some rewiring and corect the problem properly. Thank you for the info
Wyatt
Thats why I say do away with the amp meter. They can get hot from bad or old connections and start a fire.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh S#*t went to do to upgrade today half of the wires under the dash have been cut or are melted. Along with some of the harness missing under hood (looks like I bought some bodys parts truck or one that was being build for off road only) I found a engine and dash harness for a 77 RC 440 Ive got a 74 RC 440. Will the harnesses work or do I need to give painless a call and just rewire the whole truck? ???

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
it should work, but, if ya got the money, redo the whole truck and save yerself the headache of HAVING to do it later

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This question might show my ignorance of dodge/millitary vs. dodge/civilian but would a harness out of a m880 from saturn surplus work on my truck?

·
7,995 Posts
wyattells said:
This question might show my ignorance of dodge/millitary vs. dodge/civilian but would a harness out of a m880 from saturn surplus work on my truck?
The M880 is basically the same as a civilian W200 so many of the parts will interchange to alot of early(74-79) Trucks/RC's. The wiring harnesses that Saturn has appear to be from 76-77 era. I would say they would work with some modifications. If Saturn has a Chassis wiring harness then it would be a longer one than your RC harness and could be modified. Also the 77 harnesses you found should work with some mods. In my opinion, any of these harnesses would beat using a Painless(although very good) system and would be just as easy to install. The fuse blocks were different in 74-75 as compared to 76-77 so you might have to use your old block. If you found good used harnesses i would pick them up...ANY harnesses are scarce for the Mopar trucks. If you want to get rid of your old harnesses, send them to me and I would like to try to refurb them. I'll pay for the postage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts