Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an idea, see. How possible would it be to put a Cummins from a pickup truck into a fullsize van? I know people have put a Cummins in a RC or 1/2 truck, but would it fit in a van? I know its pretty small in the engine compartment of a van, but it is big enough to hold a big block and long enough for a /6 so I'd think maybe a Cummins would fit. I'd also asume that the frame up front is sorta similar to our trucks, being that its made to hold the same engines?
Call me crazy but I think a Cummins Turbo Diesel conversion van would be the ultimate roadtrip machine. Maybe give it a dually rear too. haha

·
Registered
422 Posts
Anything is possable with a big enough hammer. ;D

I think the biggest problem would be to make the front suspention handle the weight (not a big deal).

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, maybe 1 ton 2wd truck springs would fit?
I think if it'll fit, then the hardest part would be the fuel system, but I've heard of it being done on 1/2 ton trucks so that part should be about the same.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
And the engine is essentially beside you in a van. So who wants to hear nothing but a commings all the time, and likely be a little stinky too. You know how loud those things are when your sitting next to one at a light? Times 2 maybe.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Thats would take a LOT of dynamat!!

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Bummo said:
And the engine is essentially beside you in a van. So who wants to hear nothing but a commings all the time, and likely be a little stinky too. You know how loud those things are when your sitting next to one at a light? Times 2 maybe.
sweet! added bonuses i completely forgot about.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Heres a few thoughts (Don't let me discourage you from it, I'd love to see a Cummins powered van ;D)

The Cummins maybe alittle longer than the slant six and therefore it may require you to extend the dog house towards the rear. The engine is also taller and this maybe a problem because it's alot of work to make more clearance above the engine, and being that the chassis is a unitized body, means you won't be able to make room via a body lift.

This brings up another possible problem. While the chassis is strong, it's still a unitized body. The engine weighs alot and the chassis may or may not handle the load in a place in the chassis not designed for it.

The engine is definately narrower than a V8, but the turbo may still have clearance problems with the side of the engine compartment

Ed

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
joe swinehart said:
whoa! when did vans become unibodied?
1971, when the vans became unitized chassis. It's alot like the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. They look like typical frames but under the main floor area, the frame-like structure is welded to the body, hence it's a unit body chassis.

I haven't seen what kind of chassis is under the new generation Freightliner / Mercedes / Dodge Sprinter.

Ed

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I could box the frame type thing, and add crossmembers and supports. That's the kinda stuff Cherokee people do to their jeeps. If this project is possible, I wanna find someone to help me do it. heh

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, if I get serious about it I will. Here's a couple crappy sketches I did in school a while ago. They were both single wheel but then I decided to make them dually so that makes it a little funny looking but oh well, im not an artist.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=833155

·
Registered
769 Posts
why would you waste a perfectly good cummins in a van, there has got to be plently of other better homes for one.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I'll help ya do it!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Lol There you go, your learning.

The frames are boxed on vans, just like the jeeps, i gotta agree with the other post, good lord that is 1 van i wouldn't want to be sitting in with that noisey racket

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
There is a 4 cyl 3.9 liter cummins that would fit a whole lot better. A company i use to work for had one it was built on a chevy frame and basically was a bread truck that was used as a service truck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.