Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Ramcharger W150, 318, 4-speed; 2008 Sebring Convertible; 2015 Challenger Shaker SCATPack 392 A8
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
Well, it appears that my 2015 Scat Pack 392 Challenger is gonna need a driveshaft and it ain't gonna be cheap. Pretty much all the Challengers, 300's and Chargers suffer from the same issue with the carrier bearing failing on the driveshaft, whether they are V6's or Hemi's. The only one that doesn't appear to have the issue is the HellCat and from what I understand it is a one piece design and different than what the rest of us got, I may be wrong on that. No time to research what the Hellcat has since it is not my issue. The carrier bearing is not a user serviceable part and is only available as an assembly with the driveshaft, so I will need to change the out the assembly and can expect failure again sometime before the next 75,000 miles. If Stellantis doesn't brick the car with a software upgrade before then, in an efort to force me to switch to all an electric vehicle. I'm off to look for a driveshaft and try not to get shafted in the process. The reports that I'm hearing is that they are back-ordered all over the country right now so it may take a while. Wish me luck.

Joseph

·
Registered
681 Posts
I am a 21 SPWB Charger Owner and sorry to hear about this. Just did a quick rock auto search and it looks like the driveshafts are all 2 piece with carrier from what I can find. Looks like most are on backorder too.

You may be further ahead to go aftermarket. Stronger parts and carrier all together.

Neil

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
That was my first thought too. Aftermarket may be more available. In my car Ford made good on the piece of crap Dual clutch transmission and replaced my clutches... with the same damn clutches. So I can expect to have to replace those again but not under warranty. They also replaced the stereo that overheats and burns up with the same damn radio that overheats and burns up. No improvement or revision. grrr. I pulled a CD out of it the other day and could barely hang on to it because it was so hot. It also keeps dropping my blue tooth and I have to reset the radio to defaults and then reset everything again. An aftermarket stereo would cost me almost $2k, The replacement... $900. grrrr

• Wow
Reactions: neil4224

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
...I suppose you could take your existing driveshaft to your local driveline service and see if they can rebuild it - might get better quality stuff in the process...?

- Sam

·
Registered
1988 Ramcharger W150, 318, 4-speed; 2008 Sebring Convertible; 2015 Challenger Shaker SCATPack 392 A8
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually able to find a couple in stock, I hope anyway, one a factory part and the other is an after-market that the carrier bearing is removeable on, at least it appears that way. The stock one is here. https://www.jeeppartsinc.com/a/Dodge_2015_Challenger-Scat-Pack-64L-Hemi-SRT-V8-AT/_55063_6606777/Shaft--Drive/i2312356.html and the aftermarket, https://www.actionmachineinc.com/pages/replacement-driveshafts#make=Dodge&model=Challenger&year=2015&drive=RWD%2F2WD&trans=Automatic&engine=6.4L& The aftermarket guys also do custom aluminum driveshafts for 4WD's as well, in case anyone is looking.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The Challenger is fixed, I got the driveshaft in from Mother Mopar and hired a local mechanic that I actually trust to do the work. All in, I am sitting right at $850.00 to kick the can down the road for hopefully another 70,000 or so miles, $750 for the shaft and $100 for the work. The replacement driveshaft is the same design as the original so it will fail again. And the bitch is; the driveshaft and the carrier bearing are fine, it's the rubber housing where the bearing is mounted to support the shaft that failed. Piss poor design, on a relatively trouble free car. Almost like it's designed to fail to bring you back to the stealership at around the time you typically would be looking to trade anyway, hmmm.

CAD

·
Registered
681 Posts
The Challenger is fixed, I got the driveshaft in from Mother Mopar and hired a local mechanic that I actually trust to do the work. All in, I am sitting right at $850.00 to kick the can down the road for hopefully another 70,000 or so miles, $750 for the shaft and $100 for the work. The replacement driveshaft is the same design as the original so it will fail again. And the bitch is; the driveshaft and the carrier bearing are fine, it's the rubber housing where the bearing is mounted to support the shaft that failed. Piss poor design, on a relatively trouble free car. Almost like it's designed to fail to bring you back to the stealership at around the time you typically would be looking to trade anyway, hmmm.

CAD
Glad to hear you got it taken care of. I agree sounds like a piss poor design.

Does your diff seem to whine at all on your challenger CADFather? Mine has a slight wine at cruising speed. As fluid warms it seems to dissipate pretty well. It is not noticeable unless you actually listen for it. Could be those 305's I have too though. They are big and loud.....

Neil

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to hear you got it taken care of. I agree sounds like a piss poor design.

Does your diff seem to whine at all on your challenger CADFather? Mine has a slight wine at cruising speed. As fluid warms it seems to dissipate pretty well. It is not noticeable unless you actually listen for it. Could be those 305's I have too though. They are big and loud.....

Neil
Neil,
No differential whine in mine, with the carrier bearing having just made me leery of noises, the mechanic that fixed it and myself both drove it and were very attuned in for any noises coming from her. I did notice a brake squeal that I had not heard before that I can't unhear now, so I'm going out to the garage in a few minutes to address that. When I did the rear brakes last winter I did not grease the back of the pads so that is most likely the source. Also need to change the oil in the Challenger and the Sebring Convertible. My wife drives the hell outta that little car and its a miracle when I can get her out of it long enough to do anything to it.
Joseph

·
Registered
681 Posts
Thanks CADfather. I have heard these things are supposed to have some minor whine to them initially upon the first few thousand miles. Mine just passed 2k miles this morning. After a brief stop at my office and back in the car there was no noise to be found. I am assuming it might be working itself out. Knock on wood no need for replacement of anything on mine yet. Those brembos sure make the dust though and are expensive to replace when the time comes. Any type of driving and the wheels need wiped down significantly.

Neil

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,307 Posts
Have you tried changing the gear oil or adding an additive from Lucas or something?
Also, change your brake pads that dont give off so much dust. EBC makes great pads that stop well and give off low dust.

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well after having all 4 windows down on a construction section running about 45 with concrete barriers on each side I have come to discover its the tires. These 305's howl going down the road because of their width. First time I have had all 4 down since the weather has been nice.

Thanks for the recommendations on pads. I will continue to run the stockers until I have to switch them. With only 2000 miles on the car I haven't even had the wheels off yet to be rotated. Will be doing that probably at 2500 miles.

Neil

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,307 Posts
Ya my 275/40/17 tires on the front and rear were noisy also. Just something i lived with.

·
Administrator
61,801 Posts

CAD
Take the old one to a drive shaft shop, and get an estimate on fixing the old one. Then you have a spare, so you know the one in the car will never go bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts