Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since acquiring my '85 RC in summer of '94, I've been down to my local Kragen parts counter for an alternator replacement of around 68-80A nearly every 12-18mos. Seriously, I think I'm now on my 7-8th unit on my new built-up 360 shorty block and would like to upgrade back to an H/O unit. I believe my RC had something like 115A as OEM equipment.
Every few weeks new 130A units appear on E-Bay (removed for whatever reasons from new Chrysler trucks). It's usually easy to change to dual pulley, if necessary. Anyone bought one of these or have alternative suggestion?
PS - My alternator change-time is down to about 10min with my vast experience of doing this. I find it wise to carry a 2nd unit on extensive trips because of limited reliability.
4 Winds in SoCal

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
the newwer nipo alts. work verry well i just put one in a buddys truck its pretty easy swap the pulliesand get the spacing right other than that no problems just make shure you replace your charge wire to at least a 2ga cable to handle the amprage and run it right to the batt + post

·
Registered
818 Posts
where would i be able to get one?? I already have the dual pulley on my truck so it would just be a simple change, my stereo draws so much power that it drops my battery below 12 volts at stoplights, and dims my lights almost completely. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
This is sort of an aside,... but have you really cleaned and tightened all your grounding connections,... Battery to block, block to frame, engine to firewall, firewall to frame ?

In addition to chasing all your wires for visible wear and age conditions ?

Chances are real good that at least one of these grounds is missing completely, and the others are corroded or at least dirty. If you put in a big hot alternator with lousy connections elsewhere, all you'll get is heat, and maybe fire... (well, not "all", but some... :\'( )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.