Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I swapped out my old alternator with a new one. Well when I put the new alternator in, it sits back about an inch to far, so when I hooked the belt up it is all sorts of cockeyed crooked :mad:. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
make sure all your spacers are in properly. if their not and oneis putin the wrong spot it will put the alt back an inch or so..

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Did you do a really close comparison between your old alternator, and the replacement one? To make certain they are the same...

Look for a thick spacer/washer sort of thing,... that you may have left out.
OR,.. did you mount the alternator "ears" on the wrong side of the bracket ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ear goes inside the bracket right. I've tried several different ways and every time I tighten the bolts it sucks the alternator back about an inch to far. I have two thick spacers but even with those it sucks it back to far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had something similar happen to me with a new water pump. Unfortuately, being a sealed system I couldn't adjust it at all to accomodate drive belts. I ended up breaking about three belts a year, fixing it on the side of the road each time.

If you are handy with stuff, I would make this thing custom fit: steel pipe for spacers, new bolts if need be, etc. You are probably stuck with the one you got, so that's what I'd do.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok starting from the front of the engine it should go like this

alt ear, alt bracket and long spacer, then second alt ear, then short spacer, then block.

i had a similar prob going from a non a/c equipped truck to a previously a/c equipped engine with a/c brackets. ended up having to swap the water pump pulley and crank pulley from old engine to make it work.

also, was old alternator single groove or double groove on the pulley? i have found this makes a difference as well

eric

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Old one was double groove. The new one I got is double groove but only came with one long spacer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts