Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, 85 318, no A/C.
Something is very wrong. The main lead on the alternator is arcing when moved, or if the engine is revved up, and then burns the dark blue wire on the right hand side of the engine bay.
What the hell is going on?
Once the wire is burned the charging system doesn't work (obviously)
Is the alternator internally shorted? Is it toast? Do I need a new one? can I fix this? Can anyone tell me anything?
THANKS!
-Geoff

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If the charging lead is burning, then you have an intermittant dead short somewhere between the alt and the block of fuse links. When you say right side, is that looking at the engine or sitting in the cab? If it's looking at the engine, then it could be burning a a fuse link, and in that case, your short is farther beyond. If it's a dark blue wire that's spliced into a smaller orange wire (fuse link) then into a wedge shaped rubber block with 3 or 4 other wires, that is one of the main feeds to the ignition switch. Depending on how badly it shorted and how many times it happened, and what wires burned, you may get lucky and not have to but a new alt. Don't keep driving it though until you fix it, unless you want to be driving a mobile inferno!! ;D ;D

Matt {peace}

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Check the green wire between the voltage regulator and the alt for cracked/broken insulation. If this wire shorts to ground it full fields the alternator at all times.

-SM

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Good point!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts