Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i read the original thread in this board.

so people say the yugo sks is the one to get?

does any one have a dragnov stock for an sks? is it true its uncomfortable and hard to maintain weapon with this stock?

is the sks a decent weapon? i notice at $150 for "select" grade it seems cheap enough.

maybe when i get outta here ill buy one. cant buy it now because gun laws are too tough around here.

what other semi automatic weapons are in comparable in price and as good or better in performance department.

G

·
If your really want the kind in the SKS the Rssian is king, followed close second by the Chinese(thats what I have) , the Yugo I beleive was just a cheap alternative for those who wanted one. From what I understand they are ok but not as high in quality. I bought mine 2 years ago decked with synthetic Monte Carlo stock , scope , sling and 500 rounds for 225. I have a added a Russian military scope and upgrade sling as well as a bipod. It shoots incredible. Like GP said in the other sks thread it is the best bang for the buck. I would really like to add a Tiger Dragunov 7.62 x 54mm to my collection as well.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i read correctly, the yugo's used a hotter round and didnt have the production capability of other bloc nations so there stuff was built physically and structurally heavier than others to fire the more powerful yugo round?

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I always thought all SKSs fired 7.69x39.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Yea, I know that. I guess I worded it the wrong way. :)

It's just the first I heard of that.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
uh ted i got the info from you

cooper30 said:
Russian 7.62x39 can be found real cheap online...7-8 cents a round, so don't let that be a deciding factor.

Some people say that Chinese SKSs are some of the better ones.

I'm interested in what other members have to say (like willyj, etc)

Here's a link to Yugoslavian SKSs for sale. I have bought stuff from this place before and had good service. A few years ago they had 30 rd AK mags for sale for around $5 a piece.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_SKS_Yugo__Yugoslavian_M59_66_SKS_7_62x39_Rifle.html

Here's some links.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp
http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/sks-56.htm
http://www.simonov.net/main.htm
as quoted from your link

One reason Yugo SKS rifles (in fact all Yugoslav small arms seem "beefier") is because Yugoslav cartridges are much "hotter" loads than other similar "East Bloc" ammo, plus since Yugoslavia's manufacturing capacity was relatively limited, each weapon had to be more durable.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Hello. ::) :)

G

·
Now the Yugos I looked at were much more inferior in quality than my Chinese. I really havent seen too much variation in the loads of 7.62 x 39. ???

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
That's what I think I was trying to say.

The only 7.62x39 that I have seen that was a little different was the soft point hunting loads I used to buy.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have a chinese paratrooper, and a yugo. I'd buy yugos all day long for what you can buy them for. Sure they may be ugly, but they are not low quality. Fit and finish might not be all that great, I picked through at least 15 of them at the store until I I found one I was satisfied with. Mine has milled parts and a threaded barrel. That is really the best you can get. None of the stamped crap and pinned barrels you get with Norincos and such. You do have to deal with the grenade launcher on it though. Mine shoots just as good as any other sks.

Brian

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
joe swinehart said:
whats the deal with the grenade launcher?

if its 40mm it might come in handy LMAO
It uses a 22mm grenade, it slips over the end of the barrel and uses a launching blank. You can buy practice ones on the web.

Brian

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
My SKS is Chinese and it is very accurate at 100 yards. After it came back from the gunsmith, my SKS had a nice trigger job, which solved a lot of accuracy problems.

I have not priced SKS rifles in a couple of years now, but I know they have come down in price a bit. I would highly recommend a trigger job on any SKS to get rid of that sloppy military trigger pull. Additionally, ensure the SKS you are buying is tight; don't get one that clunks excessively when you shake it. Mine is tight as a drum. I haven't checked its reliability since having it reblued, but I'll shoot 1000 rounds out of it before cleaning it and see how reliable she is. I'm pretty anal about keeping my guns clean anyway.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
LOL As a new SKS owner, I Love the simi auto. As statted above, The trigger is junk. I have had a hard time finding a gun smith to look at mine. Nobody wants to look at it. I might end up having to buy another one for parts and try to do a trigger job on her my self. Mine is a Model 56. That's a chinese. I am going to get a picture of it up today.

G

·
CAMO RAM said:
LOL As a new SKS owner, I Love the simi auto. As statted above, The trigger is junk. I have had a hard time finding a gun smith to look at mine. Nobody wants to look at it. I might end up having to buy another one for parts and try to do a trigger job on her my self. Mine is a Model 56. That's a chinese. I am going to get a picture of it up today.
Hey nate try Centerfiresystems they have parts kits available for the sks!

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
you can also try brownells. largest aftermarkets firearms parts dealer and supplier in the US

eric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts