Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove it to work yesterday and parked it, ran fine, got in it to leave yesterday after work and it just spins over...
It's had this problem before and I could get away with wiggleing some wires on the driver side fender well and around the ecm area...now it doesn't help.
I checked the cap and rotor and it seemed fine.
This morning when I got to work I tried it again and it almost tried to started, but when I turned it over after that, nothing, just turns over...
Any direction to start this thing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Shawn.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You need to check to see if you are getting spark and fuel first!

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
i agree, check to see if your getting spark from the coil, just unplug it at the dist. and lay on the intake and crank it, if no spark then i would say module or distributor, dist test is easy, turn the key on and watch the coil wire again for spark, unplug the dist 2 wire connector and briefly jump them across and when you disconnect the jumper you shoudl get spark, if you do then your dist is faulty, another is the ballast, check for voltage on both sides, shoudl be 12 volts on one side and around 9 on the other.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, that gives me some things to look for after work, also I know it's getting fuel.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
check the ballast resistor.......replac eit..it's only like 5 or 7 bucks.

Also echeck the reluctor air gap in the distributor. if it has coem loose, it won't fire, but you will have fire to the cap, but not the plug. I had that happen to me once and didn't figure it out till I had payed to tow it home, and a few times after that and was able to repair it on the road by readjusting it.

When you check the air gap, DO NOT use a magnetic feeler gage..use a brass one, or you will mess it up for good.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
actually it wouldnt have fire to the cap, the reluctor is what breaks the coils field to allow current flow from the coil, if it comes loose it wouldnt fire unless it bounced agains the pickup and sent an ac signal to the module that it was ok to pull the coil to ground. just a clarification.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I should have said you can have curent to the cap. I had that situation once when the airgap was off (.012"). But normally, you are right.

Hey, what can I say, ny truck comes up with some weird problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts