Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

My 2001 Alero sedan (quad 4, auto) has me stumped.  The left coil spring broke on February 9th.  On the 12th, I took it in to have the front springs replaced.  When Kristian got in there, he discovered that the strut plate bearings were shot as well...the left one pretty much had the ball bearings coming out of it, the right was just worn out.

A few weeks back, I had the car out in a downpour and heard a strange "tick" when I turned the wheel.  A day later it was gone.  It is now doing this every time it rains...tick while it's wet, then squeak for a few hours, then dry out and go silent. 

I took it to see Kristian two weeks ago, but he couldn't find anything wrong with it. {noclue}

Today, because it was ticking from last night's rain, I took it to a mechanic that is one of our very good customers.  He looked at it for a couple minutes, had me turn the wheel several times, and informed me that the plate bearings are junk.  Then he showed me...when you turn the wheel the struts are freakin' moving inside the mount!!

I have been fed up with the front end of this car ever since the struts, springs, and rack were replaced two years ago.  It used to hold the road perfectly, but it has had some variation of a "torque steer" to the left issue ever since the work was done.  Alignments & tires didn't help, but flushing the power steering did make it a little better.  I've also noticed the power steering screwing with the idle on the car, but never consistently...although I'm usually turning a hard right when it does it.

I'm figuring on having the strut bearing plates replaced.  I'm definitely getting the rack replaced even if it doesn't need it.  I've never liked the way it handled and I'm not in the mood to fight with it anymore.  I'm thinking I should probably do the mounts as well.  On that same note, could the plates be fine but the mounts are shot?

Is there anything that I'm missing here?  Why is this front-end being so bitchy?  Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Missy

·
Registered
29,328 Posts
you get what you pay for or and l hate to say it there installed wrong

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
l hate to say it there installed wrong
I never go "on the cheap" with suspension & steering parts...they're WAY too important. With both plate bearings "failing" like that, I think it may be a case of bad installation...which is why it's going elsewhere. The NAPA coil springs were actually American made and heavier than the Carquest one that broke, so it was an upgrade.

Probably wishful thinking at this point to hope that the bearings are okay and just need reinstalled correctly. That "tick" makes me think the left one is cracked and water is getting in it. :-\

As for the rack, I think it's a "bad from the factory" reman unit. I assume it came from Carquest...guess I'll know for sure when I get the core back.

Thanks Deano!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts