Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91 5.2l TBI.

ok i did all the searching on this site that i can and no one can seem to make it clear where the diverter valve is. The air swich relief valve is on the air pump and has the up streem air, down streem air, and a vacum line going to it from the air switch/relief valve solenoid. but there is a vac line coming from the tbi second from far driverside of tbi (four vac lines on tbi) that is supost to go to the diverter valve per the vac diagram under the hood. where is the diverter valve? or what else does this vac line go to?

please help
dave

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Do you have access to a factory service manual or all data??
I dont where I am but that is the best place to find it.

there is also a manifold of valves on one of the fenderwells. Check there too.

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
l answered this before / the air relief-switching valve and the diverter valve are the SAME thing / look at the pictures below right out of the 1991 FSM / if you go on NAPA,s wed site and look it up for your truck they list the SAME part number with two names

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I have a problem that relates to this.  My truck has a TBI 360 out of a 1990 D-150 with single exhaust.  My parts motor is from a 1990 D-350 with dual exhausts.  The air pumps are a little different on the two motors.  The single exhaust has one air pump that has a diverter valve and the dual exhaust has two pumps and both of them have relief valves.

The diverter valve has 2 lines on it, both going to the exhaust system, one to the cat and one to the back of the exhaust manifolds.

The relief valves have one line only that apparently goes to the exhaust and a separate line on the side of the pumps that tee together and go to somewhere.  The motor is not in a truck and I can't be sure where it originally went.  This line appears to me to be a suction line.

The diverter valve has a diaphragm and a vacuum signal but the relief valves do not.

I'm at work and a long ways from a book or a parts store.  Can I install one of the pumps from the dual exhaust engine, install some kind of filter on the intake and plug the vacuum signal line?  I have a 1 year old catalytic converter and I have already driven 85 miles since I had to remove the belt from the non functioning air pump.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you dodge boys. thats what i was starting to think (that they where the same thing) but whats up with the extra vac line????

thanks
dave

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I finally decided that one of the air pumps from the truck with duals would work.  It appears that the only difference is where the suction comes from.  The original didn't have any filter for the air, entering from behind the pulley.  The pump I have installed has a suction line.  I will probably fabricate a filter element for it.  I think any air compressor should have filtered air.

BTW, there is only one vacuum line on the diverter valve, although the valve has two discharge outlets.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will take some pics of what im talking about a little latter when it quits raining. so yall can see what im talking about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts