Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck is an 88 RC 318 4x4. I want to remove the air pump and plumbing, but I am not sure where the plumbing hooks up. I found one connection on the cat and I plan on pluging it untill I upgrade the entire exhaust system. I think another connection on the back passenger side exhaust manifold, but I am not sure if that is right.

Another thing, I was asked by a non-Dodge friend about the plumbing running through the EGR valve. He said his truck ran like crap when his EGR messed up and told me not to remove mine. I am not exactly sure if I have an EGR. If I do, I don't know where it would be.

Is there anything else I need to do to the truck when I do get the hardware removed?

Thanks for your time.

Note: Vehicle is for "off-road use only".

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I am not sure where all the plumbing runs but I think it does run to the exhaust manifolds so those will have to be plugged. Just follow all the lines coming off and plug it accordingly.

You can take off the EGR valve and put a plate over it-it is located on the intake manifold. I have taken them off nissan, chebbies and ferds and never had any problems. If they go bad and do not operate properly then you can have problems.

G

·
If you are still computer controlled, I would not touch any of the emissions systems. You're asking for all kinds of headaches.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to look again, but I think it only ran to the passenger side. On that manifold it looked like it was connected with two bolts on either side of the pipe. (Similar to a thermostat housing) How exactly would I cap that off?

Where on the intake is that EGR valve and what does it look like?

Also, I am using the stock computer. What kind of problems would I create be removing the emission stuff? And how would I fix them?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You could take the pipe with two bolts in it off and weld a small plate on it and put it back on. It just takes a little creativity.

EGR valve is located on the drivers side on the intake next to the carb it should be attached with a couple bolts, it should have a vacuum line attahed to it. (Some one correct me if I am wrong)

You could create lean/rich conditions, hard starts, hesitation-basically a poor running engine. Best bet would be to ditch the computer and get a different intake/carb with out the emmissions stuff on it. It can be done but you need some basic automotive knowledge or at least "hillbilly" know how.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If its an 88 its TBI. The air pump directs air into both of the exhaust manifolds (line runs down side of intake, and splits and goes to each exhaust manifold) and back to the cat. If you remove it, theres a chance that the o2 sensor would find a bad fault, because the air is directed into the manifold before the o2 sensor, so it would see a constant rich condition.
As for the EGR, if its simmilar to my 88, it has a dual type egr, has two lines running to it, NOt really sure why. The question is, Why do you want to remove the EGR? It doesn't operate at idle, it doesn't operate when the engines cold, and it doesn't operate at wide open throttle. All it does is reduce the combustion temperatures at cruise, Which lessens the chance for knock and lowers the emission NOx
hope this helps some....
C.J.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well i have a 90 RC. I removed the air pump, plugged all the lines took off cats and ran straight duals with glasspacks. I drove it for a few days then it started stalling at lights and stop signs. took me three weeks to figure out why........ EGR needed plugged! I plugged the EGR and now truck runs like new! just my input. PLUG IT!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts