Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the whitish spark plug topic but go no hits so trying a different approach. For those of you that have installed the guage to monitor rich or lean, has anybody done it on a duel exhaust set up? Should be able to use one guage and two O2 senors right? Would the reading be correct? Been thinking for a while and the senors are cheap enough, the guage through JCW is about 40.00. Thanks BB

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I am not sure how to wore in two sensors, like sending units they vary their resistance reading which is what the gauge uses to move the needle, installing two in parallel would cut their resistance readings in half (assuming they work like resistors)

Installing an O2 sensor in the header pipe of one bank will only allow you to monitor the A/F ratio on that bank, but if the plugs in both banks all look similar, getting one bank dialed in should get you very close on the other bank as well.

In other words, I would just install one sensor in one bank. If you wanted to, you could install a bung on the other bank as well, and just plug the bung that is not being used. That way you could see what the A/F ratio on the second bank is after you get the first bank dialed in. I would bet it would be very close to the first bank. V8's don't have near the fuel distribution problems inline 6's do.

-SM

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You can't wire in two sensors to one guage. Autozone has the air/fuel ratio guages a little cheaper than 40. I got one for 25 if I remember correctly. I have mine wired into one side so the other side should be close as long as I adjust them the same. You would have to have two guages and two oxygen sensors and do both sides. Make sure you get the single wire oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
All you have to do is put an A/B type switch from Left to Right O2 sensor into that gauge and then you'll have a dual O2 sensor set up to read either or but not both at the same time. Most sensors are (3) wire now aday, that would just take a triple pole, double through switch. When you look at the back of the switch you will see (9) terminals. (3) to the Left sensor the outside of the switch ( and that should be marked as to when the toggle is thrown which side to pick off, if not measure with an ohm meter) and the Right to the other side of the switch. To the meter with the center set of terminals.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Never though of doing that before-Good ideal.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
or just use 2 cheap volt meters. lil digital units.

find the manual for the type of vehicle the sensor comes from or factory specs. it will tell what the volts equate out to in real world.

thats a famous dodge tuner trick. much more accurate than a lcd light.

another thing is these guages are only acurate from around12-14:1. very narrow band.

youd need a wide band to get true accurate measurements.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
btw, the O2 sensor only needs 1 wire.

the other wires are for the heating unit.

a o2 sensor only works above 600º. a 3 or 4 wire unit has a heating element to speed up process.

and nearly all o2 sensors are interchangeable.

get a lil "universal" o2 sesnro from jc wittney, a 14 or 18 milimeter nut and a volt meter. viola.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts