Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how difficult it will be to put in A/C where there wasn't any before? I am looking to do this. From what I have found is that I will need the evaporator housing, evaporator core, switch box in dash, and air duct for inside, or is that there already? Under the hood I need condensor, compressor, compresser/alternator bracket, drier, and the hoses. Is this correct? Are there any parts in particular that I should buy new? I thought someone told me one time that a if a certain part is exposed it will become no good, well maybe that's all of them. Thank for your help guys.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Your best bet would be to go junkyard shopping and find the complete air box/ducting and switch/vacuum lines from a heap. You will need a stock evaporator and expansion valve, after that I would reccomend getting a new Sanden compressor and brackets from BPE Engineering (check the links section) and a parallel flow condensor from "ackits.com". Your reciever drier can be stock and it screws in along the passenger side inner/outer fender mating flange. Or you could put in a more modern one so you will have O-ring seals on all your fittings save the expansion valve. When you raid the donor vehicle make sure you get the low pressure switch wiring and compressor clutch wiring.

If you are wondering, I have a kit from BPE I just put in along with the condensor from ACkits, I am going to fill it up with Duracool this weekend (sort of like Propane). Other than the actual air box, make sure you use all new parts. Expect to cough up around $500 maybe less if you use stock brackets with the stock compressor.

As long as you are going to put in A/C and the fact you live in Florida you might think about trying to put in a rear A/C system (second evaporator and fan) for the back of the RC, the stock air box is sized for a pickup not for the massive interior volume our RCs have.

Good luck

Chris

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I have a pickup so it'll work for me. Thanks for the info. I think I am pretty well on track. Just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey, im also considering rebuilding my ac system, as almost every component has a massive leak in it. I'm wondering what compressor model and brackets to get from bpe, and the size of the condensor needed. Also, what would setting up a rear a/c system consist of?

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Bob_1029, You can surf their site or just call them. They are very friendly and anxious to help you and offer tech support. They have one kit for the LA MOPAR (premagnum) and it comes with or without the Sanden "shorty" compressor. The brackets are about $85 and come with all mounting hardware needed, They are very well made from steel and are powder coated.

The89Beast, let us know how it all works out!

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Be careful with refrigerants, like propane, or other flamables, yes they can work like a refrigerant. But, a lot of states have made it illegal to use them in automotive applications. Verify with a local shop if your going exotic on any refrigerant to insure that your state allows it.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Hmmmm, my shop.........I'm doing this myself, law be damned! I do live in the "wild" lawless frontier!

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
l have an after market AC system that was in my truck that l took out / the compressor was made into an air pump / but if you want the under dash unit you can have it / it worked and looked good but took up the PASS floor space

1 - 8 of 8 Posts