Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever turned the stock a/c air compressor into and OBA System. i want to do this to an 88' w/318 RC. i know i will have to put a filter into the line and a tank but that is about all i know. this is a long term project so i am not in any hurry.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
dont mess with that compressor.

it requires a reciculating oil system since it is a rotary.

what you want is a piston style

was used on pre 79 dodges. also other piston style on many ferds and jeeps. plus almost every medium duty truck has a compressor to power air brakes.

they re cheap and have good output.

i never installed my compressor but it has 14cfm output @100psi at 1200rpm. doesnt need a clutch since it has automatic governor and unloader. cost me $40.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where did you get it? does it fit where the old one is or will i have to mount it some where else?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
mine is off a medium duty ford.

it is definetly not a direct bolt on. will require me fabbing a bracket. not very hard at all. if u wanted to get real easy, you could mount an electric motor to it and call it a day. but you would have to plumb an air line wire a switch and install a "T" fitting into the oil pressure sender fitting. then install oil pressure sender in one end and run a small line to the compressor housing.

it is full pressure lubed so it requires a pressurized oiling system. not very hard but something to consider. then u need to punch hole in oil pan.

i chose this (Bendix Tuflo 400) because of its output. it is enough to run power tools all day reliably. reliabity was a big factor. not that many if any engine driven compressors arent reliable.

if this sounds like too much work you can go with a smaller York or RV2 chysler compressor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tanks this is a long term project. some thing i will do in the ffuture , i am just doing research and getting others opinions. cost is a major factor. i do not want cheap, i want inexpensive. i am not to worried aboout have to fab a bracket or two. i also have plenty of room in the engine compartment. thanks for the info any more will also be helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts