Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plan is to finally get my R/C home today. Its an 87 L.E. w/ a 318 and auto. How do I know if its an open diff or if it has the limited slip? Where do I look to find out? I plan on changing every last drop of fluid in this machine tonight, and I wanna be sure to put the right type of fluid in the back pig. Thanks!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Easy! Just put a jack under the rear end, have someone start it and put in in "D", if both wheels turn it is a posi, if only one turns it is a standard. The posi's just require a friction modifier additive. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
http://www.newdodgeparts.com/Dodge-parts.htm You will have to remove the cover to drain the fluid so take a look at whats inside and comapre it to the picture in the link above. You will have to enter your truck information and keep drilling down to get to the axle illustrations. Save this link its really a good place to start when your going to do some work on the ole truck. Good luck turbo

·
29,380 Posts
83mcguyver said:
Easy! Just put a jack under the rear end, have someone start it and put in in "D", if both wheels turn it is a posi, if only one turns it is a standard.
Actually, this is not true. If both wheels have an equal load, they will both turn with an open diff.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
1) put the truck up on jack stands, and turn 1 rear tire. If the other tire turns inthe SAME direction, it is posi/limited slip...if it turns the OPPOSITE direction, it is open.

2) pull the cover and look. If it has 4 small gears and a cross pin that can be fully seen (all 4 gears and the pin), and there are no thick shims (that can be seen) under the side gears--the ones on the axles) it is open.

And I will tell you this...and for anyone else out there...if it needs the friction modifier, don't get it at dodge...they want like 7 bucks a bottle. Ford sells the same stuff, but in a ford labeled bottle, for 3-4 bucks a bottle.

And that stuff stinks the high heaven...so don't get it on your hands...or you'll smell like a skunk for a week !!!!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
i'm not disagreeing with anyone of you, but how come on my friend's '97 Chevy Z71 with boths wheels in the air i can spin one side and the other will spin opposite direction? It has posi and that can be proved by looking at the pavement in front of my house.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
tell him to do a power brake burn out, and really lock the brakes down.

Or go around a turn an nail it...if only one tire spins, then it is not posi.

Even a stock posi will act like an open diff if the load diff between the two sides is too high. But not when it is in the air.

An open diff will act like a posi if there is no load on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts