Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
A couple of questions that pertain to gauges.

I want to get an aftermarket oil pressure, temp and volt meter in one unit. Is it possible to extend the wires from backs of the stock guages to the aftermarket unit? Ive changed the stock temp and oil sending units already.
If this is possible what aftermarket gauges would do this?

If I can't do this, what gauges are easy to install I have seen the differences in prices too; I'd like to keep this at a moderate range.

thanks in advance,
JTO

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You can get electrical guages if you want. That is what a sending unit does. Sends an electrical signal to the guage. Or you can get mechanical. The oil pressure has a nylon/plastic hose that would go to the guage and then the an oil port-usually near the distributor. The water temp would have a fitting that would attach to a water port in the manifold and the volt just needs to tap into a 12 volt power source.

I have had good luck with sumpro. You can get the trio kit at autozone for 30-40 bucks or buy them individually. The kit will have all the hardware you need.

·
29,447 Posts
You cannot use the stock senders with aftermarket gauges, you must use the sending units that are supplied with the aftermarket gauges.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Check out Sun, Autometer, and VDO.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I got AutoMeter ProComp Electrics in mine. Around 40-50 dollar each though.

The electrics aren't real hard to install, but then not as easy as implied either. You'll need the wire from the senders (supplied with the guage), a ground from the engine to the guage, and power for the guage. Sometimes a shortage of power sources can aggrevate some people (I have an extra fuse block I have added). Then you'll need power from the dash light system and a ground for the light (If you want it lit at night). So it's not hard, but can be time consuming to find places to tap into and to run the wiring nicely.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great replies, TY! I've looked at my oil pressure sending unit and decided I don't want to mess around back there. It's the only guage that works good still. I guess I'll change the voltmeter and water temp. gauges to aftermarket.

last question, has anyone tried the digital gauges?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
My first suggestion is, don't buy Made in China gauges. You don't want to cheap out when you are reading vital info from your expensive engine. Some of that cheap junk is so inaccurate that you could blow an engine and not see it coming. Spend the extra money and buy good quality gauges.

Ed

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
if you do decide to do the oil pressure later . .
removing the coil and bracket helps immensely. A deep socket will fit over the stock style sending unit to remove it, but will booger up the conections, so not recommended for installing a similar style. It was like a 1 1/16" (?) size which no one in town had a crows foot for in stock. Installing the AutoMeter sending unit for the electric guage was a problem I ran into. There's a hex on the bottom for tightening, but can't get a wrench on it with the firewall in the way. A crowsfoot didn't have a long enough reach to get around the sending unit's body. So I bent up an extra open end wrench to work.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
autometer, autoguage, sunpro, Stewart warner, and VDO all have very good reliable ACCURATE guages. i have sunpro, autometer and VDO in my vehicals and have not ahd a problem with them...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RXT said:
My first suggestion is, don't buy Made in China gauges. You don't want to cheap out when you are reading vital info from your expensive engine. Some of that cheap junk is so inaccurate that you could blow an engine and not see it coming. Spend the extra money and buy good quality gauges.

Ed
Heck, I thought everything was made in China these days...LOL

I guess mt last question should have read, has anyone tried the LCD readout gauges yet?

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I thought about using the Digital guages myself, but I like the look of the needle better.
I've seen some from the diesel go fast companies that include multiple guage readins on a single little monitor type deal. That looks like a slick idea for limited space applications.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Donk said:
removing the coil and bracket helps immensely. A deep socket will fit over the stock style sending unit to remove it, but will booger up the conections, so not recommended for installing a similar style. It was like a 1 1/16" (?) size which no one in town had a crows foot for in stock. Installing the AutoMeter sending unit for the electric guage was a problem I ran into. There's a hex on the bottom for tightening, but can't get a wrench on it with the firewall in the way. A crowsfoot didn't have a long enough reach to get around the sending unit's body. So I bent up an extra open end wrench to work.
there is a special socket for removing the oil sending unit. its very deep, and fits the unit like a glove to prevent damage. it is a 1 1/16 like you said. i do not know where Daddy got it from though, but i would imagine that any good parts house will have it.

Duane

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
CLRracer said:
Donk said:
there is a special socket for removing the oil sending unit. its very deep, and fits the unit like a glove to prevent damage. it is a 1 1/16 like you said. i do not know where Daddy got it from though, but i would imagine that any good parts house will have it.

Duane
figured there was a socket for it, but that search was another good example of how we're lucky stupid looks are free.

Plus, I installed one replacement stock sending unit. I knew after that an aftermarket would go in. So I wasn't too dissapointed in not being able to find the special socket for one install (removal I didn't care about the terminals).

·
Registered
1,695 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
if you're looking for an oil psi sending unit socket, chase down you're local snap-on truck or equivelent. most parts houses i've looked at don't have anything close.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts