Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to add another coolant guage because the stock one is not accurate. It never comes off of the 2nd hash mark. I've check the other locations on intake and I can't fit a probe in them. They are too shallow. So I'm thinking about buying a coupler to splice into rad Hosea that houses a sending unit. I know it won't be as accurate since its not actually on the engine. But I figured If I put it on the top hose coming from engine to rad, that it would be more accurate.

My question is, is it not going to read unless the thermostat opens?

Was thinking maybe the by pass hose but it's so small idk of I could get a coupler to even fit it

Trying to retain factory gauges as much as possible. Purely for aesthetics but also because the stock sender is seized into intake and I've rounded off the brass fitting trying to get it out

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Administrator
31,939 Posts
My question is, is it not going to read unless the thermostat opens?
It will still read something, and then be close once the stat opens. Maybe not ideal, but still a great location. I would not have a problem using it.

You used to see some places selling a spacer that sits between the intake, and t-stat housing, with a spot for a sender. If they are still around, it would be an option.

Reactions: xmoweryx

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for quick reply. I'll look. I'd just hate to take that water neck off again. Took 3 trys to get it to seal lol. Figured on the hose coupler. If it's reading low because thermostat isn't open then I'll just know it's not hot yet lol. Factory guage does kind of work. It's just off by 50 degrees or so. In the summer it will heat soak a little after shutting truck off (another issue I need to figure out). And the temp guage will read normal until water pump start moving fluid. But I'd like to have something that actually reads somewhat correct while driving

· Administrator
31,939 Posts
I put one of those hose adapters on my 85W350, I needed it more for splicing the hose back together, because I put a bigblock radiator in, and the top hose is on the other side.I do plan on adding an extra gauge, just dd not get around to it yet. Now I might be swapping for a 440, so who knows.

I even thought about adding an adapter to the lower hose, and have a switch so I can get a reading for the output, and input.

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
8,451 Posts
If its a gauge problem then why not get a new gauge? You can find new factory replacements on eBay. What year is your truck? Also, would you mind putting your truck info in your avatar so we can see what you are driving? Thank you. 👍

Reactions: xmoweryx

· Super Moderator
14,595 Posts
Depending on your manifold, you might find another water jacket you can plumb into. I would definitely do it there. It's cheap insurance if your thermostat should ever stick closed.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
If the port isn’t deep enough for the probe just use an adapter to space it up, most aftermarket gauges give you an assortment. Thread adapter into intake and then thread gauge into that.

Also, depending on what thermostat you are running 2 marks up on the gauge probabaly is normal, that’s where both my 91s and my 85 sit. And the gauge going up after a hot restart is normal, it’s not a heat soak problem….it’s just the fact that the water stopped circulating. Don’t fix a problem that isn’t there.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the port isn’t deep enough for the probe just use an adapter to space it up, most aftermarket gauges give you an assortment. Thread adapter into intake and then thread gauge into that.

Also, depending on what thermostat you are running 2 marks up on the gauge probabaly is normal, that’s where both my 91s and my 85 sit. And the gauge going up after a hot restart is normal, it’s not a heat soak problem….it’s just the fact that the water stopped circulating. Don’t fix a problem that isn’t there.
I'll check. I figured the adapters was just to size the threads. Didn't even occur to me that it could adjust depth. If that's the case that would be easy

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If its a gauge problem then why not get a new gauge? You can find new factory replacements on eBay. What year is your truck? Also, would you mind putting your truck info in your avatar so we can see what you are driving? Thank you.
Sorry I had it on here before. New phone and it didn't save signature. But it's an 85. Just trying to go cheapest route. Already bought after market gauges

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the sensor installed. As one of you guys stated the kits come with adapters and it worked for the second sensor location in the intake. It's all working good now! Thanks!

1985 Dodge W150 Royal Se 5.9 727 Auto

1 - 10 of 10 Posts