Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 86 ramcharger yesterday. I noticed that the radio kept turning off every time i drove, so i went and bought a new pioneer. after installing the pioneer correctly, the radio still turned off and on when i drove. So i re did all of the wire to make sure nothing was loose and shorting out, re installed the radio, took it for a ride and it kept flickering off and on along with my headlights turning off an on also. Mannn!!! I have no clue, So i went ahead and ran the power wire directly to the battery, so now i would have to manually turn it off every time i got out of the truck, anyway. re installed the radio. started backing out of my driveway and the radio starts flickering again. every time i turned the headlights on it would also turn the radio off for about 5 seconds. also whenever i had the truck just idleing and i was testing the radio, it would turn off as soon as i turned the volume up. so I unhooked everything. and put it all in the back. now this morning i go outside, AND MY TRUCK WONT START! and if it does start, it lasts about 10 seconds and idles down into a stall out. CAn someone please tell me what i have to do to fix this. It is driving me insane. My battery is brand new, my trans is brand new, brand new alternator, everything is pretty much new, and i had an MSD ignition installed. what do i have to do to have a radio and be able to start my truck. Thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
sounds like a bad ground to me, checl all the cable and your battery clamps

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I'll second the bad ground thought.

Clean & tighten the connections at the battery. Do the same on the ground cable connections to the block/frame.

Clean & tighten the engine-to-chassis ground strap

Make sure your radio ground strap/wire is connected to a GOOD ground....the metal bracing behind the dash tends to rust. Make sure the connections are free of rust & corrosion.

Clean the firewall bulkhead connector (I suspect this is where your problem lies). Clean the pins/recievers off as well as you can with electrical parts cleaner & q-tips, pipe cleaners, small wire brushes, etc.

One radio-related problem I had on my '87 was the yellow wire to the radio (hot, constant 12V). The pin in the factory connecter for this wire somehow lost continuity through the connector...I ended up bypassing the connector (pulling the wire from the connector, and installing new connectors. The wire & new connectors remained out of the original harness). The point here being check for good power & ground at the factory connector, and again at the radio connector where it plugs into the deck.

-SM

·
Registered
32,086 Posts
this is a classic case of the AMP/VOLT gauge in the dash losing power / this on-off volt thing has been covered a million times / thats what it sounds like

·
7,995 Posts
To simplify matters a little and keep whats left of your hair....try disconnecting the radio for awhile til you get the flickering headlight problem fixed. You need to fix the most serious problem first..it can be very frustrating to shoot multiple bugs/problems at once, especially if the trail leads you the wrong way. the radio should have it's own seperate ground wire also. :):)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.