Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I've got a question about hubcaps.

Honestly, I kinda like the stock hubcaps on my 86 w150.  That said, I want to get a set of 16" Cragar V-5s. Now, the V5 doesn't have any way to mount the stock hubcaps. I was curious if any of you fellas had any ideas about ways to adapt them, maybe to the lug nuts instead of seating on the rim. Alternatively, anyone know of a company that might make stock look a like hubcaps that would work?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Which hubcabs? The dog dish ones?

I know guys that specifically order 'hotrod' steel wheels (wheel vintiques?) to run older hubcaps.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, the dog dish style.

I looked at that, but I really like the Cragar's style. The dog dish might be a bit big for them though. I'm not sure yet.

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
It would not be easy, but not impossible to make a disk with spring clips to hold the dog dishes on, that bolts to the rim. Or even a disk that mimics the nubs that the hubcaps mount to.

I would not attempt it unless you have a machinist background, or have the help of someone who does. Making them round, and centering them on the rim are essential.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Looking up that style of rim, I'm gonna say, that it's probably going to be a lot more trouble than it's worth. Not only from a solid mounting solution, but also atheistically, I just don't think the dog dishes will look right on that rim style.

Whats wrong with running those rims as they are? A nice set of chrome lug nuts and the center cap (both not included) rounds out the looks for me.

If you're determined to use those dogs, you might consider a different rim company, like this one;
http://www.stocktonwheel.com (Note the Mopar section)

Ed

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SuperBurban said:
It would not be easy, but not impossible to make a disk with spring clips to hold the dog dishes on, that bolts to the rim. Or even a disk that mimics the nubs that the hubcaps mount to.

I would not attempt it unless you have a machinist background, or have the help of someone who does. Making them round, and centering them on the rim are essential.
Luckily for me, next semester I was intending to go back and get my machining cert at the local community college. This is more or less the same on I had come to, but was hoping someone might've had an easier solution.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RXT said:
Looking up that style of rim, I'm gonna say, that it's probably going to be a lot more trouble than it's worth. Not only from a solid mounting solution, but also atheistically, I just don't think the dog dishes will look right on that rim style.

Whats wrong with running those rims as they are? A nice set of chrome lug nuts and the center cap (both not included) rounds out the looks for me.

If you're determined to use those dogs, you might consider a different rim company, like this one;
http://www.stocktonwheel.com (Note the Mopar section)

Ed
Aesthetically I think they can fit if the dog dish is small enough. I won't really know till I get the rim. That was my original plan; center caps and long chrome lug nuts. I just had the thought yesterday and thought it might look really cool. I'll hang them on to check before I drop any dough or time into making/modifying something to fit.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm, maybe some kind of studs welded to the rim. They'd have to be really well centered, but it could be do-able.

I could machine them to have a lip near the bottom that the lip of the cap grips onto. Alternatively I could pop a small hole in a couple spots on the side if the dog dish and tap the stud to accept a small bolt.

I like the first idea better out of the two, but both could work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.