Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 77TD with a 318, the 318 came from an 86 Fifth Avenue. My problem is the compressor from the Fifth Avenue wont hook up to the existing AC hoses. I do have the compressor and brackets from the original engine (360). Does anyone have a diagram of the bracket locations, or will the 360 brackets even work? I did a search but could not find any diagrams or pics. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don H.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
should bolt right over...... i can send pics of a 318 with A\C... i still have it on my scamp. let me know if this well help or not

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The original compressor from the 360 is completely different from the one that is currently on the 318. The compressor i want to use is much bigger.

If you could go ahead and e-mail me the pic of yours it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don H.

e-mail= [email protected]

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Dig the electric fan. Pity you have that converted to r134a. I have done a lot of research and talked to some A/C guys in a shop here and have found that the EPR valve in the back of the compressor doesn't like 134. Still, a nice looking engine bay. Did you notice an increase in your efficiency with the electric fan? How cold does your A/C blow?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
MudFlap said:
Dig the electric fan. Pity you have that converted to r134a. I have done a lot of research and talked to some A/C guys in a shop here and have found that the EPR valve in the back of the compressor doesn't like 134. Still, a nice looking engine bay. Did you notice an increase in your efficiency with the electric fan? How cold does your A/C blow?
well i own and operate an automotive shop with my family, so we do custom work including exhaust and ac. i have been doing ac for over 15 years and i can tell you 134a is a great refrigerant. the epr doesnt care bout freon as much as pressure, which can be controlled by expansion rates, either way my system on this car blew 41 degrees out the vents all day long as well as maintained 180 degrees idleing all day long, that was with a 3 row rad and .060 360 engine. so yes the fans helped bunches.

but the ac works awesome. 134a is great just gotta know what to change when you convert to keep the system happy. ;D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks mrpeal, that is the compressor I am putting in.

To convert to 134a, do I just have to change the fittings for it to work? I still have a couple of cans of r12 but I will have to convert eventually, just wondering what that will take to convert?

Thanks again.

Don H.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
ya don basically that is the jist of it, although if the hoses are the original hoses they may allow leakage over time as the molecules of 134a tend to seperate when leaking and cause a lack of cooling. so change the fittings, use ester oil lubricant to nuetralize the mineral oil in the system(ester is a synthetic) and charge the system, the original style expansion valves work very well with 134a. some of the older ones can be tweaked to get a bit colder temps as 134a is not normally as cold at 30psi as 12 is so you might want to adjust it a bit to gt lower pressures on the low side, better yet just convert it and see what your temps are first. if they are good leave it alone, if they wont get below 50 then you can tweak it, the rv2 compressor is an excellent compressor and works well. let us know how it comes out

jamie

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will, and thanks again for the advice.

Don H

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Dodge88W100 said:
That reminds me...

I'm down to one alternator belt...

Time to go to Napa.
Be sure to get a matched pair of belts. Not just the same part #, but two of the same run. Preferrably 2 consecutive #'s. A good parts hand can tell how to read the #'s. If they aren't from the same run, they will be different lengths. I ran into that a while back. One fit tight and the other fit loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts