Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks:

Got a 91 RC 2WD w/318 and auto. I was going to recharge the AC with one of those recharge kits from the local parts store. When I went to hook up the charging hose from the kit, I found out that the connector on the AC line is larger than the one on the recharge hose. It looks like the PO has converted the system to 134 and has added a high side connector to the only port I can find on the system.

So I'm a little confused on which port I have and should there be another in the system. The current line that has the connector port comes from the evap core that is in front of the radiator. I always assumed that the ac system had both a high and low side connections. Am I missing something or just being a dumb ass??

Ben

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Is there a port on the compressor itself?

That's where my low side port is located...ignore the circled diverter valve...it's the blue cap off to the right, directly above the compressor.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Try this link
http://www.macsw.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Section_609
then scroll down to download the manual, this is the training manual to get goverment certified so you can legally charge a/c systems in the US, (some states require you get their local certs)
But this 69 page manual will tell you just about everything about automotive a/c and how to do it right, and just putting a can in may do more damage then help on your a/c system
Good luck
OOOPPS almost forgot you can find BOTH low and high side ports by following the hoses from the firewall towards the compressor, or visa versa
REB

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Agreed on both parts. 609 is a piece of cake and have air/water vapor in a system (0psi) and topping off, may be a terrible thing.

Chemically speaking, r134a+oxygen can equal explosion when compressed. Of course the ratios have to be just right, but none the less a possibility.

Other more likely possibilities include forming acids that eat the system, low cooling output, high head pressure that damages compressor, seized compressor from lack of lube, and/or rapid loss of refrigerant from failing to repair leak.

Vacuum is basically mandatory, flush may not be a bad idea either.

ABSOLUTELY NO LEAK-STOP. NONE. Not even a little.  :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, I'll have to go look and see if there is a port located on the compressor.

thanks for the training link  ;) i give it a look see.

Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts