Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just finished yankin' out my 318 and swapping a 360 in there. No problems at all with the 360, however the A727 doesn't seam to put the power out. I seam to have my engine rev'd up pretty high before the transmission starts to roll, and it takes forever to get up to speed. Shift points are also pretty funky.

What could my problem/s be? Kickdown linkage? To much tranny fluid? not enough tranny fluid? wrong kind of tranny fluid? I lost quite a bit of tranny fluid during the swap, but I filled it back up again, and it appears to be at the proper level. Other than that I did nothing at all to the tranny, so I don't understand why it's having issues all of a sudden with the new engine.

Chief

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just wanted to add, that if I have to pull that 727 out, I'ma be f'n pi**ed. Simply cuz I didn't do crap to it to cause this dilema, and also because my RC has already been sitting there a month and a half for the engine swap, and I've missed just about every good muddin' day this season... Please god tell me there's a simple fix here.

Chief

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sounds like low on trans fluid. Heres hoping it is.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Check the fluid, make sure you're in neutral when you do it. Also make sure that your linkages are correctly adjusted. When you swapped to the 360 did you swap kickdown linkages as well?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. It's the same linkage that was on the 318, same carb, and same size intake.. There's no binding and no problem with the kickdown unless it's just improperly adjusted. I'll tighten it tomorrow and play with it...

Chief

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dudes, I agree totally, because it feels the same way it did when I tore my intercooler lines on some underbrush and didn't know it until it ran like this, But I'm checkin the fluid level and it looks spot on. Maybe I'm using the wrong type of fluid? What kind of fluid do you guys usually put in here? Derxcon III right? This is the first time I've gone with a different brand. I'm checkin it in Park too.. I'll slap it into neutral when I get home in the morning...

I'm on night shifts right now cuz we got remodeling going on and the construction crews requested an I.T. representative on site when they move the servers and shit around.... shitty...
Anyway, laters
Chief

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Chief said:
Dudes, I agree totally, because it feels the same way it did when I tore my intercooler lines on some underbrush and didn't know it until it ran like this, But I'm checkin the fluid level and it looks spot on. Maybe I'm using the wrong type of fluid? What kind of fluid do you guys usually put in here? Derxcon III right? This is the first time I've gone with a different brand. I'm checkin it in Park too.. I'll slap it into neutral when I get home in the morning...

I'm on night shifts right now cuz we got remodeling going on and the construction crews requested an I.T. representative on site when they move the servers and shit around.... shitty...
Anyway, laters
Chief
ok you said you are checking it in park, this could be the prob, could be as much as 2 pints difference showing in park and neutral. definitely need to check it in neutral.

one other thing, are you sure the torque converter that was on the 360 is good? for that matter, you did change to the 360 converter, right?

eric

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
ya thats what I was thinking eric, if you put the 318 converter on it, it may cause problems because they are different slightly, im not exactly sure how just yet, but i know theres a deifference

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Dodgeman said:
ya thats what I was thinking eric, if you put the 318 converter on it, it may cause problems because they are different slightly, im not exactly sure how just yet, but i know theres a deifference
well for one the 318 converter does not have the counterweights on it since it came off of an internally balanced motor, i dont know if the stall speed would be different on them or not. i do know that when i went to the 360 from a 318, i didnt have the off the line power that i had with the 318. so this may be a common thing

eric

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, you guys, I am using a B&M flexplate which is suppost to balance this sucker out... According to the FAQ posted on ramchargercentral.com titled "318 to 360 Engine swap" with part number included. According to this FAQ the stock OEM 318 Converter can be used if coupled with this Flexplate. So far I am encountering no problems with the engine... sounds good, runs good... but that's what my ears tell me. Sadly I have yet to check it in park, because I've been busy and runnin' around Austin taking care of crap after hours, and haven't been awake during the daylight. The neighbors get really pissy if I try to run my Charger (header only exhaust) at night even if only to warm it up or otherwise, so as soon as I find myself some daylight hours, get off this dam nightshift, I'll check it out, warm it up, and I'm bettin money it's a neutral vs. park situation... It has to be a tranny fluid problem... cuz I can't afford anything else...

Chief

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If ya'll cross reference the FAQ on this site you'll see it says there, by gunpilot, that the stock torque converter can be used in conjunction with this B&M flexplate... and this is the only instruction I'm goin' on as far as this swap is concerned... I know nothing about marrying up an engine to a tranny, but I just went with this FAQ... check it out.
Chief

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I read on a link that was on here not long ago(cant find it now) that dexron III was not the proper fluid for a 727 and allows the clutches to slip. They recommended ATF 3 or 4. Is there any truth to this?

Chief, my fluid was low and I had the same symptoms that you are describing.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
depends on the year of the tranny.. I've also heard that the ATF 3 & 4 are not backwards compatibel with Dextron III; My tranny was working fine until I put the ATF 3 in it, I've yet to drain out the expensive fluid to put cheap stuff back in to see if that corrects things.
Aaron Wyse

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I do know that some times that Torque Converter can be a PITA to get full of fluid. It sounds low on fluid and my have a band adj need after asertaining proper fluid level. Torque Converter may also be bad :(

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Check it in Neutral - it even says so right on the dipstick. The 727 does not pump fluid in Park. Therefore if you check it in park, it'll show a higher level, cause the fluid's in the pan, not circulating thru the tranny.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Also, both my factory service manuals for my '79 and '88 say to use Dexron ATF.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i talked to a friend at work who builds 727 on the side
1st thing he said to me was it sounds like the pump
got broken on the install and if not he said it sounds
like a pump problem

1 - 20 of 23 Posts