Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed the torque convertor bolts are hitting, (And making a God awful noise, mind you), the dust cover on the lower half of the bellhousing. The cover is the one that was installed on my 318 from the factory.

While all the factory bolt holes all line up, upon closer inspection, the fitment of the cover up around the oil pan, (Tabs, etc.), don't seem to fit the new 360 like it did the old 318. I checked all the convertor bolts.

They're tight. (I Locktited and torqued them when I put it all together.)

Are the dust covers different between the LA 318 and the 360's?

Right now I've pried the cover out and used washers as spacers between the trans bell and the cover and no more interference, but this isn't right.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I believe the dust covers are different, as the oil pans are also different.

You don't really need the dust cover, I've been running without one for many years with ni issues, but if you want it there, you'll have to get one for a 360 engine.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ran into the same things years ago. If you absoluty want to keep it you can cut out a half moon were the cover is indented. If you do any mudding at all this inst a great solution because it can fill up.
Ive run without em for years on different Mopars and havent had any problems.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I knew what I was looking at wasn't right. Funny, the rubbing is going on closer to the top of the oil pan at the block. As soon as the dust cover heats up and warps "away" from the flex ring, the noise stops.

Amazing Dodge would do such a thing! (2) different design dust covers. The cover I've got is visibly shorter, (now that I really looked at it). I just assumed they were the same.

The real pain is dropping the starter with the header in the way, to remove and/or replace it.

Anybody got one for a 360 with an A518 or 727 laying around?

Thanks again for all the help and feedback!
Dave ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts