Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to overhaul my A518 O/D trans. It still works great, (Other than it started to shudder a bit in low gear taking off from a light towards the end of last season), but since I'm pulling the motor, now's the time to freshen the old slushbox up, (while it's easy to get to).

I've got the better 4.2 ratio 2nd gear apply lever, TCI (+) 2 quart pan, 27k GVW 10 pass cooler in series with the radiator and a custom built 2200 rpm ATI fully "rollerized" stall speed convertor, and Autometer trans temp gauge. The valve body has been shift kitted with a TransGo kit that also improves lubrication and pressure to the O/D unit.

My rebuilder will undoubtedly tighten the clearances up and add additional clutch disks in the packs where he can.

Is there anything else that I can do to further improve it overall? The current shift points are about right in each gear due to the 4.56 gears and 37" tires I'm running. I've heard the available "improved design" apply servos are well worth the $45.00 a piece for improved shift feel and reliability.

Any thoughts??

Dave

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
From what it sounds, you're gonna have a pretty stout tranny. The only thing I would do differently is axe out the stall converter. Especially if you're gonna do any towing or offroading. So much of that is low RPM's that the stall would really hurt you. More so in the offroading, unless you floor it the whole time and don't go anyless than 2200 rpm the whole time.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
What year is your vehicle??
The reason I am asking is because I ran into a sweet deal on a super clean '95 Grand Cherokee Limited (Ahh, leather) 318 with AOD tranny. Only problem is the tranny is bad.
He asking $3500 for it but I have heard that when a AOD tranny goes out EVERYTHING in it is bad. Even the hard parts so just installing a rebuild kit won't fix it. I checked on some warrantied rebuilt trannys and they are over $2000 for that vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Make sure the TCI pan is deeper then the original 518 pan. The 518 pans are super deep compared to 727's and they are even deeper then the deep pans for the 727. So if the pan you got is for a 727 it won't work on your 518.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
There should be two filter spacers included with the deep pan, the short spacer is used on the 518/618 and the thicker spacer is for the 727. Remember to remove the magnet from the OE pan and use it with your deep pan.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the feed back. The custom ATI 2100-2200 convertor is built to perform differently than the old style convertors, (ie; they don't produce the heat that the old ones did, and they couple better).

The TCI pan I've got is specifically for the A518, (+) 2 quarts additional fluid capacity. TCI technical staff I talked to, told me that becasue the valve body hangs down out of the trans almost 5/8" more than a 727, that the use of a spacer is optional, only becasue with the total fluid volume in the pan, the valve body / filter is always covered with fluid. They supplied a spacer for the filter, so I'll probably install it so the filter is more centrally located in the fluid.

Having the 10 pass 27k GVW cooler and 2 additional quarts of fluid in the pan with an 11" all Torrington bearing ATI converter, both ATI and TCI have told me heat shouldn't be a problem. The trans with the stock pan and cooler at 144k miles never got above 175 degrees towing my boat in the summer.

My truck is predominantly street driven, so the convertor will allow it to "Leave" with the motor in the powerband where its making good torque and hp. These trucks are HEAVY so anything we can do to get'em moving faster is better... LMAO

Dave ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.