Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thought I would (finally) start a build post on my 83 w150. I know several forum members have seen it in some photos of my other builds. This is now my dedicated tow rig. So here goes the story.

Originally my ideas for this truck was to make a bad ass 4wd when I was in college.

My dad had a 79 power wagon (W150) he bought brand new off the lot in December of 78. He worked the oil rigs in northeastern ohio and needed something capable of getting into and out of the rig sites. He was young and wild living in Tuscarawas County at that time. He went to a dealership in Dover Ohio which is still there to this day. It used to be called Humphries Auto City I believe. It was a joint dealership between Dodge and Ford. Now its called Parkway.

Anyway he went looking to buy a brand new 3/4 ton Ford truck. Manual preferably. When he arrived at the dealer the salesman said that he would have to order a new ford and it would take nearly a year or so before it would be available. Per the story my old man was pissed. The salesman said "Why don't you look at the new dodges we have sitting over there? He decided to go over and look. My mom was with him and she spoke up and said you have to buy an automatic. Perturbed my dad said can I take one for a spin? The salesman said sure. Grabbed the keys and only my mom and him went for the ride. Being from the area my dad new about everyback road their was out of town. He took it and literally flogged the piss out of it. Put it in high loc on the 203 and low gear on the 727 and went through the deepest mud he could find to make sure he could get it in and out of where he worked. By the time he came back about 15 minutes later all you could see of the truck was the windshield wipers moving.

The salesman was in shock as the mud fell from the wheel wells and body. My mom didn't move as she sat in the truck, my Dad jumped out and the salesman ran over and looked at my dad and stated..."WHO IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?". His reply "I work in the oil fields and I need something that I can depend on doing what I want when I want". The salesman shook his head and said "You are going to buy it now aren't you?" My dad went "Nope, not until it is washed and waxed".

Took them 3 days and the salesman called and they went to pick it up.

I wish I could find an old picture of it, but unfortunately haven't came across one yet.

I had worked several jobs and saved up nearly 8 grand in the bank and at 19 I wasn't a spender. A boy came to buy the truck the summer of my sophomore year in college. My dad looked over at me and I said "No lets fix it up". Thank god all these things fell in line the way they did or I probably wouldn't be on here telling you about my pickups.

Here is what we started with.....circa 2009

The truck had sat for about 10 years before we started in on the project.....

Neil

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well we got her in the garage. Couldn't believe she fired up after the long hibernation. Brakes only worked in the rear and my old man pulled her up and backed her in a slow manner. Hood and that "custom" heavy as hell oil field bumper was first thing to be removed...

Next up was the front end and motor. The engine was a 318 when we pulled it. Dad had to swap it back in the mid 80's form the original 360 as his brother in law who also worked on the rigs borrowed it, blew a radiator hose, and filled it with water in the dead of winter. Water cracked the original 360 block that same day. Lets just say he never let anybody borrow his truck anymore after that.

Photo of the teen before we yanked it out....

Neil

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Love this build. I'm down towards marietta so not too far away.
Eric

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next up was the front end being taken off....

Well my dad started talking to guys at his work and a friend of a friend heard that a guy had a "police" 318 he had for sale for 300 dollars. Motor was complete and looked clean so we purchased it.

Neil

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After the motor buy it was full teardown mode...My old man did most of this after work each day since I was off at college until the weekends.

Didn't take a lot of pictures as you can tell. He also moved pretty fast....

Neil

Reactions: SuperBurban

·
Registered
144 Posts
I’m watching this. Hell of a story about your pop Neil. Would of loved to been there to see the live reaction of the salesman.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m watching this. Hell of a story about your pop Neil. Would of loved to been there to see the live reaction of the salesman.
Amen me too, I still have all the original paperwork to that truck. Purchased brand new for $9400. Wish trucks could be bought for that today!

Neil

·
Registered
67 Posts
Image maybe blur a little bit, but is it an O2 sensor monted on manifold exhaust?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Image maybe blur a little bit, but is it an O2 sensor monted on manifold exhaust?
Looks like an EGR tube to me. But those are long gone to look at. This was well in my younger years and didn't know much about anything at that point.

Neil

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Continuing the tear down.... my old man and I here stripping her the rest of the way down.

And another...

This was my first foray into the deep dive of Dodge's. Learned a lot in that (filled) two car garage....

Neil

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took her down to the bare frame next

This would be the first frame he and I carried out of that spot bare handed.

after discovering some rot towards the rear leaf hangers my old man said it was time to find another truck to donate its body and frame. So several weeks later he and my mom took off to the Carolina's in their 94 Safari. Took my dad 4 days and several stops at several different places (0ne guy had 20 different trucks and wouldn't sell a 1) before he came across this....

1986 D150 318 Auto. Guy my old man got it off of let him change the oil in his garage.

My dad drove it from South Carolina Up to Ohio, blew one tire in southern West Virginia, but made it without any issues.

Neil

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are a couple pics of the axles off the 4x4...Dana 44 front 9.25 rear. 3.54 gears. My old man swapped them back in the mid 80's as the front diff locked up on him, too much water and not enough gear oil (lube). Unfortunately no trac loks in these unlike his original factory set.

Also missed one from the garage before we took the frame out....

Neil

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the meantime I started doing some sanding and priming on some odds and end parts for the truck. Lots of rattle cans were used...

Neil

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quickly moving along.... After purchasing the 86 my dad and I worked quick on getting it stripped down. Front end and bed was off quickly since this was the second time around doing all of this. The wiring was much simpler too since it was more grouped plugs than individual nodes like from the 79.

This truck was solid and solid was an understatement. There were a couple whiskey dents on the front right fender and tailgate but nothing crazy. Hardly any rust except for the cab floors. Perks of getting a southern truck I guess.

Motor ran good as previously mentioned and my Dad and I ran the truck around for a month since we bought a 30 day temp tag. She was pretty gutless but would spin the one bologna skin tire with ease. Here are a couple pics from the motor being all together to completely torn apart.....posted these on another thread the other day.

Couldn't believe the amount of sludge in this motor after we tore it down. If this doesn't show you to routinely change the oil I don't know what would....

Neil

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another side paint project.....

Learning as I went with the rattle cans....

My old man tried out sandblasting for the first time too. Let's just put it this way my mom was not too thrilled. There was sand everywhere for weeks!!! Worked great getting all the dirt and grime off stuff.

Neil

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dash had to be cleaned up too and threw a little paint on it as well.

Neil

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
445 Posts
looks great, well done (y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts