Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just trying to start an organized event and I am looking for input as to where to have it, the first event any way , eventually we should cover the whole state but any suggestions would be helpful,

Steve

Well I am still a Moderator here, but the NM chapter has all but fallen apart, Due to lack of participation. The cage still runs, but I have not taken it out in some time, Life just keeps getting in the way, what with the usurpation of our political system and the demise of our currency, the priorites have somewhat changed.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Dodgeman,

It seems the trails down where you are are more aggressive than here around ABQ. Unfortunately if you plan this event soon, my truck has not been thoroughly road tested so it will have to be local to ABQ for me to attend.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
my 318 is on its last legs, until I drop the 360 into it, but that may be later this yr, so I am up for a jaunt into rio rancho...
we wont get stuck and we can make a wing ding outta it, a cookout campout type thing, or just go out for a few hours.
mid/late sept would be cool.. or would be good between thanksgiving and xmas..

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
If we do go north, my old truck could probably tow the cagedodge, if you have a trailer...

Otherwise, the Robledo Mtns have some "normal" trails, in addition to the extreme stuff in the photos... And there are good dirt roads for fast running.

The Puerco will be cooling off pretty soon. We could save Las Cruces for later in the year... It was 100 degrees outside today !

Has anyone driven through the south end of the San Mateo Mtns, from Monticello (northwest of TorC) to IH25 (halfway to Socorro) ? I've only been in from the south, and it's pretty, only mildly rough, but steep and narrow in places.
That'd be a good "meet in the middle" place.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not trying to leave anyone out by wanting to hold a get together down here , i just really dont have a good tow vehicle and smokey would probably not wanna take my whole family up north but a central locatoin such as t or c or there abouts would probably be ok for me too tow my own junk,I have a van i use to tow with and i do have a trailer but it has no plates just yet and it is in pretty rough condition also , as for the trails , i only took pix of the really good (extreme) ones, cause pix of the cage cruising down a dirt road would not be too cool to put up, i have to go thru some very easy to moderate terrain to get to the hard stuff and some trails have bypasses for the extreme stuff too , we have a very wide selection of trails here and u can just pull over and camp out just about anywhere in the desert and i would pull anyone out who got stuck so far i am the only one who voted in my poll so any votes would be helpful ;D

·
Registered
990 Posts
OK, I voted...

It seems none of us have really good hiway rigs... :p

The 4.10's in my truck make the interstate a no-go... 75MPH=4500 RPMs... I would have to take the back way to 'Cruces... Not that it would be a bad thing... It would just take longer than an overnighter...

If I win the lottery soon ::) that OD unit would fit nicely into this plan... ::)

Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
Hell, when I win the lottery, we get an enclosed truck hauler, with sleeper and full bath ::) We are definitely victims of the size of our state, versus the gearing or reliability of our vehicles....

That's why I was asking about the San Mateo Mtns, they extend from north of TorC to near Magdalena (west of Socorro). I have a friend in the BLM Socorro, and acquaintances in the USFS Magdalena Ranger Office. Maybe they know of some central trail/camping areas that would be a good compromise....

Hey DDog, I was in RR a week ago Thursday night... for just a few hours, thought of ya but didn't have time to get in touch... at the NM Coalition Against Domestic Violence conference that Bill Richardson and John Sanchez dropped by... did yall see the SHORT blonde lady they interviewed on TV... my wife, the President of the coalition

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I am pretty new to the board, but I live in NM, I would like to try and be able to make it sometime to meet up but my truck isnt quite highway safe, and i gotta get some things fixed with my trans first, but I might possibly be able to take my other, I'll see when the time comes,

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Sunday 8 sept, 10 am rio rancho giant & checker on southern and unser, be prepared for some sand and arroyo hopping, and shoot the crap, lets make this happen guys...{smoke}

·
Registered
990 Posts
Kewl Willie!

I will be there...

Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
if my truck runs better... or is still running at all i could probably go,

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
Got Elder duty at church that Sunday, and a Habitat for Humanity house ribbon cutting that PM.... Have fun !

·
Registered
584 Posts
The butte would be good. Lotsa sand for the boggers and not far away is good rocks for the crawlers. I know trails with a little of both and you can come out with your rocker panels intact. As for highway travel, no problem for me, been goin to the Butte for years, sure its 4500rpm @70mph, but the Dodge will hang, (thats why it has three tanks). Besides, if its at the butte, one more excuse to drag the boat down one more time. Anyone up for some extreme tubing?

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
Well, hey, Webb, I missed your entry into RCC ! Welcome !

As you can see, we're a pretty disorganized "chapter"... mostly because of distances and reliability doubts; but, yeah, the Butte is a fairly good compromise.

Is there enough water left ???
Bet the boat ramp is longer than we've seen in years :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put some effort into the tow van this labor day weekend and the butte would be definately possible, would they let me drive the cage on the beaches? i have heard of some rockcrawlin trails up that way but i am unsure where they are, that would definately have to be an overnighter to go there for me ;D and towing the cage it would be about 55 mph nomatter what the rpm's r running, maybe more going downhill..lol :p

·
Registered
990 Posts
Willie,

We still on for Sunday?

Giant gas station, on Southern Blvd, in Rio Rancho, 10 AM?

Anyone going to show up?

I will be there, in the shade, waiting...

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
yes, I need to swap carbs and hook up my front drive shaft, or if it is just us, we can go to the turtle mountain, and have a rootbeer...
All that show up even if you dont want to go wheelin will get a FREE RCC sticker !!!

correction, I am unable to accomplish all the tasks, the axles are still in the back of the RC, and havent gotten the bolts for my front driveshaft....but I will still be there in the van, handing out RCC stickers and sucking down ROOTBEER ! ! !

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
Seems like dodgeman, Rambitious, El Paso Ram & I maybe going for a boonie cruise near Las Cruces, Saturday, 28 Sep 02. IF we manage to get it together in the next few days....

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
Webbcraft and I have been visitng about the Butte. He knows a number of trails there that would be just fine.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts