Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a strange noise, the best way i can describe it is that it is very much like the sound of a hard ball rolling around in a metal drum or barrell, it only happens at about 25-28 ,mph and does it in either second or third gear, it i am accelerating past that speed, you don't hear anything, it's only when i am holding speed at 25-28 mph, it seems to be coming fromthe rear end, it isn't the exhaust banging around on the axle or anything, and i had wheel bearings checked when i changed tires, i don't hear very well, so it is difficult to pin point where in the rear the sound is coming from, but i would guess passenger side rear end?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the u joints don't have any visible signs of wear, no play or shavings or anything like that, the sound is very specific to that speed, and it is regardless of whether i have light throttle, no throttle, or coasting in nuetral down hill, if it is the axle, would that mean i would need to replace my entire rear end?, or is rebuilding/replacing parts a possibility...it would most likely be work i would not be able to do myself so it would be cool to have an idea heading into the mechanic...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i understand what your saying, it is a very vague description to try and follow up on through the web,  i am debating over whether or not to dig into this issue right now, or let it go for a while and see if the noise declares itself in another way, hopefully i won''t damage something else, but that seems like it could be a possibilty also, seeing as how i have no idea what the issue is...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i finally get the rc out of town onto some dirt roads.. and the same sound that i get at the specific speed i get pretty much consistantly on dirt roads and definately occurs when i hit bumps, potholes, anything like that.. so i'm going to get under it tomorrow and hopefully i will find something, maybe in the brake system???, that is loose or rubbing???? i'm hoping to find something external and simple to fix.... but i imagine it could still very well be internal and not so simple...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts