Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well frist of i was wondering i live in fla. and when im out wheeling these a lot of 2 wheeling and here and there i need 4 wheel well ive heard keeping your hubs locked in and not having it in 4x is bad because it puts power back in the t-case
so do i realy have to get and lock in the hubs every time :-\or iis it ok if i leave my hubs locked in or if im needing 4x often
should i just ride in 4 high???
also id like to know how much gear oil dose my diff take id like to run 50% lucas in it because when i got it there was h2o in the diffs. so id like to get the right mixter also i saw on the lucas bottle that i could run 50-100% :eek: in it can i really do that i would think it would be to thick also i have limited slip in the rear so is it still ok to have that much lucas in it
just to let you know i have a dana 60 (hd i think) in the rear and a dana 44 in the front
aslo i would like to know what my axles are exmp. are they hd or not and what danna 44 do i have
thank for the help ;D
richard aka mm3k

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
It is fine if you leave you hubs locked all the time and don't have it 4x. However I would suggest that if you have to switch in and out of 4x a lot on the trail that it would be better to leave it in 4x, just because its easier.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
depends on the transfer case too I think

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
What I normally do is, I lock in the hubs when I get to the trailhead and keep them locked in all day long. That way I don't need to climb in and out to shift into 4wd. I simply shift in whatever range I want and go. When I go home and don't plan to use 4wd again, I unlock the hubs. It doesn't hurt the t-case at all to have the front axle hubs engaged. Some of the northern boys have been known to leave the hubs locked in all winter.

Ed

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what i thought but i did hear other wise and i dont need to mess my t-case up after just rebuilding it 78trailduster turbo2go & I put a good of amt. of work into fixing it

·
Registered
328 Posts
I locked my hubs in 2 months ago and they'll probably be locked in for at least another month or 2. Doesn't hurt a thing just like having full time 4 wheel drive, you're just turning everything in the front end.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
RXT said:
Some of the northern boys have been known to leave the hubs locked in all winter.
Ed
How did you know ::) usually I will lock them come first snow fall them leave them locked till spring this way if I need it its just a matter of shifting

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
When I had my 84, I locked my hubs in October, and that was it for the winter. I learned quickly that having your hubs stick or freeze in the unlocked position in the winter was no fun. Stuck in a snow bank with a butane torch to my hubs.... For a while I just had the full time gears and no locking hubs at all in my axles! I am in hog heaven now with the 203! I had to drive with no rear shaft for a couple of days on my 85, it is hard on the tcase chain but if you baby it, you will probably get away with it for a short time.
william

1 - 10 of 10 Posts