Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Im putting a 203 case in the place of a 208. In doing this, i have to somehow lock the front axle sence my tcase doesnt have loc working. How do i do this

2. Can i put a 70's front axle under my 82 R/C? If so, will everything bolt right up to it? like brake lines, steering, and what not.

I believe thats all the questions i have at the moment. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

·
Registered
619 Posts
i know that there are kits out there to make a hub axle (locking and unlocking) into a full time axle. as for a 70s axle the issues would be: (1) where does the brake line come down...on a 70s its right in the middle of the axle. (2) 70s axles did not have crossover steering...im not sure about your RC, but i dont think it does. good luck on the project.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
GroundHawger said:
1. Im putting a 203 case in the place of a 208. In doing this, i have to somehow lock the front axle sence my tcase doesnt have loc working. How do i do this.
You can use any Dana 44. (If you use a CAD axle, you'll need to permently lock it in...I think there is a How to on this. Those Dana 44s that have lock out hubs, you have two options. Leave the lock outs on it and just keep it locked, or get yourself some drive flanges either from a CAD axle or a full time Ford or Chevy.

2. Can i put a 70's front axle under my 82 R/C? If so, will everything bolt right up to it? like brake lines, steering, and what not.

I believe thats all the questions i have at the moment. Thanks ahead of time for the help.
Yes you could use a 70s full time axle, it should just bolt up, though you may have to make some steering mods. There are two issues I'd be concerned about if you use the 70s axles.

#1 They use unit hubs which are not that great for oversized tires on offset rims.

#2 They use the smaller 5 lug bolt pattern, which means you'll need to carry two spares, as your rear axle will still have the bigger 5 lug bolt pattern.

As for installing a 203, you'll need the correct adapter and you may need to alter the length of both driveshafts. If there is a problem with the 203 locking in, I would not suggest installing it until you had a chance to fix it. You might as well do this now before installing it. Those 203s are heavy buggers! ;D

Ed

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive looked over everything with the front axles. and everything seems to be the same. everything has the same measurments for the most part.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
instead of switching the axles, could i possibly put the 70's yokes on the 80's axles? if so, will this mess up the pinion gear or any other gears?

·
Registered
29,723 Posts
l dont understand WHY yer do,in all this work because of a blown tranny/ have the tranny fixed would be the easiest thing to do / instead of putting a 203 and older rears in a newer truck

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
DODGEBOYS said:
l dont understand WHY yer do,in all this work because of a blown tranny/ have the tranny fixed would be the easiest thing to do / instead of putting a 203 and older rears in a newer truck
IF this is because of the blown or burnt tranny then I agree with DB. A 727 is a very easy tranny to rebuild and I mean EASY!!! 8 bolts hold the valve body on-take the pump out and it almost falls apart-almost. If you pay attention then you can have it done it a weekend or heck even on a Saturday. I have a total of 200 bucks for everything to rebuild mine including a shift kit and it runs like a raped ape!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts