Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this is a dumb question and I am almost too embarressed to ask but I will anyway. Which side of the thermostat faces the engine?? I cant for the life of me remember and I dont want to put it in backwards. While I am on the subject of cooling systems let me ask another question. In the past week I have blown a water pump seal, thermostat seal, and a hose (this is on a 81 Dodge with slant 6) Whats causing all these to blow?? As far as I know its not overheating although it has no temp gage so I don't know for certain.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The bigger spring-equipped side goes down/in the engine, the smaller "hat" goes up/out. Did you blow the seals after replacing that T-stat? Cause if it was in upside-down, then LOTS of overheating and pressure buildup would happen quickly. Otherwise, look at the radiator for severe restrictions and for an inop cap.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Well this is not for the slant but it will show you a point of reference.

http://www.dakota-truck.net/UPGRADES/TSTAT/10.gif

Have you had enough coolant in the system?
Have you blown a head gasket? What color is the exhaust, have you noticed it looking white/blue cloudy and smell sicking sweet like burned anti-freeze?
How long was all the stuff that had blown out on the engine?
You need a mechanical temp gauge, you have no idea what the engine temp's are actually doing!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
While the engine is running, take the radiator cap off and look for bubbles. If they are present, you have a head gasket leak.

Also, what lb-rating radiator cap are you using? I have never seen a slant blow w/p gasket, thermostat gasket, and rad hose nearly all at once. If the gaskets were just old, it may have been coincidence. But something tells me your cooling system is operating at too high of a pressure...and the stock waterpump can't do that by itself.

-SM

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am offically a DUMBASS!! I did have the thermostat backwards which explains my problems. I put it the right way and everything seems to be OK. Thanks for all the help and advice!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Glad to hear that things are working properly again. Just a thought, I think you would be money ahead in the long run to invest in a mechanical temp gauge to supplement what ever stock stuff is on the dash/gauge cluster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts