Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep

I was going back towards my house today from a trip in my 93 CTD and got to noticing a feller in a newer 5 ton GMC(the ones with the big box beds on the back and they have a Cat motor in them) that was getting kind of close to me and I kept pulling out and passing people,and he would be right behind it I kept looking in the mirrors and he was grinning at me and gave me a thumbs up for the truck. We got to running together and passing everything in sight LOL But when we came up on a long hill I laid it on the mat and waved him to come on,which I had the black smoke boiling and so was he, but when we hit the grade I was gaining speed and he was loosing it FAST and he was empty! He could keep up with me on flat ground but never could on hills even though he was just giving it all it had. Ah I just love my Cummins ;D

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I'm not defending the Cat, but it wasn't really a fair race unless you were pulling a loaded trailer.

Most of those truck engines are governed for power, so even if he had much more power, the computer will still limit that power. The GMC is also alot heavier than a Ram even when empty.

Ed

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
joe swinehart said:
ed, are you trying to tell me a 5ton capacity truck is built heavier than a 1 ton?
Yes. Take a look at one. They have much bigger frames, and they have huge axles. Additionally Cat does not offer an engine that is similar in size and weight to the B series Cummins. They are commonly installing the I-6 3126E Cat into most GM built 5 ton trucks these days. It's a bigger block than the B series Cummins and heavier. Behind these things they put bigger trannys. All this is to carry the additional weight these trucks are designed to carry.

Heres another fact. When it comes to commercial trucks, the customer who purchases the truck, has the option to govern their engines. This is often done to satisfy insurance issues and limit employee abuse of the vehicles. Thru a computer program, they can limit high rpm operation and top speed. This can make hill climbing worse as it's limiting power and rpms nessary for the climb.

now get that CAT transplanted into another 1 ton dodge and then report back
I knew of a Chevy with the 3208 Cat and I can tell you that it's was one heavy SOB! Years ago I had considered putting a 3116 Cat (Same as the 3126E, but without the electronics) into a Ford. The performance specs on the 3116 is similar to the newer B series Cummins. However there really isn't much for the Cat in terms of performance parts. You can bomb a B series Cummins to the point where you think you have a full blown big rig engine. It's wasn't the case with the 3116 Cat.

Ed

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
i was bean sarcastic . agree 100%

plus i work with the 3116 and agree its pretty good motor. not exactly a power house but IMHO durable.
they re operated day in and out at full thottle and the kicker is, the stupid operators shut em right down.

prolly explains why they find themselves stranded with blown turbo.

also use a lot of cummins here but i believe they are NHC 250 or something like that.

well we do use the 6B in our fork trucks.

i guess if ya wanted a fair race, id run our fork truck against our 2.5 ton (5 ton OTR, 2.5 cross country)cargo truck and we d have a cummins vs cat rematch ;D

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Yup

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just grab yourself a 5T truck that has the 5.9 ISB Cummins in it.. go chase down the GMC and run him again. The ISB was designed for medium duty use.. and 5T is medium duty. We used to run a '73 AutoCar with a 6 cyl Cummins.. but I doubt it was the ISB. It would run though.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Well my RV weighs 15 ton plus loaded and I have plenty of power, I loose the powejoke 3/4 and 1Tons except on steeper grades.

The cat engine in the same RV is supposed to have 320HP.

I prefer the cummins.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My dad has a 91' GMC brigadier, with a cummins and that thing will walk all over our topkick with a cat 3116, but its not really fair since the cat is only at 170hp. As far as speed goes though, we have a mack that will smoke both of them. No idea on what brand of engine it has though.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
What a mack ain't smoking nothing but out it's exhaust and if it does smoke a cat or a cummins or a detroit then there broken

1 - 12 of 12 Posts