Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard it is possible to convert your air cond. pump to a air compressor pump. i never use my a/c so might as well use the space/pump for something usefull. was wanting to put a air tank in the back of my rc. anyone ever heard of that before.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Sure if you have a piston compressor from the 70s or back.

These commonly look like a small briggs v-twin aka rv2, or an inline twin as is the case with the dealer installed add-on ac also found on fords and volvos. Aka york.

The rv2 is cast iron and typically have rust.

If you have an aluminum round compressor (80s-up) the short answer is no, not really.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
You can use the newer aluminum compressors but you have to run a fairly complicated oiling system for it and even then they still do not last real long.  York compressors have become the standard, though I believe the RV2 works better.  Another option is just use an electric compressor like a Quickair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
basically alot more work for it than i thought.ive got limited money space and time. its my daily driver, live where i cant work on it to much. but i love my ride and want to work on it to make it more fun

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Elwenil said:
You can use the newer aluminum compressors but you have to run a fairly complicated oiling system for it and even then they still do not last real long.
For standardization purposes, we should leave this as a "no" for most members, because those who do have the skill required, wouldn't waste their time with that compressor due to low performance, and those who do ask about it do not typically have the means to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
You are probably right but I figured it was worth mentioning since there is so much info out there on using them.  Most of it is old though since hardly anyone uses the aluminum compressors anymore since they are such a poor choice.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
s ǝoɾ said:
For standardization purposes, we should leave this as a "no" for most members, because those who do have the skill required, wouldn't waste their time with that compressor due to low performance, and those who do ask about it do not typically have the means to make it work.
I don't know where you are getting this info from setting up an oiler for a newer style compressor isn't hard, it does require a seperator after the compressor but thats a nice item to have anyway as it will take the condensation out of the sytem anyway. Do a google search on "n board air" and there is a ton of links and info. I'm currently helping a buddy set up a system like this in his Jeep and as soon as I get the tranny issues in my Jeep straitend out I plan to add one to it. These compressors will do everything you want a compressor to do and as long as you keep the oiler filled it will last for years w/o issue. Personally for the work of setting up custom mounts I would rather run the oiler on the newer compressor, it'll be less work.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
DodgeMudder said:
These compressors will do everything you want a compressor to do
Give me the flow specs. The c171 is barely sufficient to do it's original job of moving freon in a sealed system.

Bottom line is when it's all said and done it ends up being a low performing short lived unit.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Agreed, which is why I figured I would mention it.  Better to mention it and that it's a not a good idea than to ignore it and have them stumble on it later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts