Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I dropped the $20 for the EPA 609 Cert, so I could buy Freon from eBay.. The test is kind of a joke, I skimmed the reading material, and never had to look back at it.. I was finished in 15 minutes. Anyways, I got a cool deal on Freon (6- 14oz cans for $110) and I'm going to tackle changing out my hoses 'cause they have wet spots and the coldness has all but vanished, and take the opportunity to change out the heater core (and do a much anticipated how-to that I never got around to ;) ) while the system is empty. First question - Should I change the evaporator while I have everything out? The system worked when I got the truck, but it's been gradually losing Freon through the hoses. I just don't want to find that the evap is a weak link after I get it recharged. Second, what's the easiest way to flush the compressor and condenser (myself, with no special tools) and evaporator if I don't have to change it? And finally, the factory sticker says to use 44oz for a full charge - is that including the oil? If so, how much Freon:eek:il do I use? Also, any useful tips/tricks would help!

TIA
Matt {peace}

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Um do you have the vacuum pump and tools to do the evac properly after you open the system? Most of the time when you do ac work ya replace 1.compresor 2. orifice tube 3. reciever drier. If the compressor is ok still do the orifice and the reciever and all o rings in the system, They get old and brittle and are usualy where the leaks are at in the first place. Wyatt

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the new hoses, receiver/drier, H Block, and gaskets. I'm just waiting for the Freon to get here. At this point, I don't have the money or see the need to replace the compressor, because it works and no dye has shown up on it. I would like to flush everything though, to make sure it runs as cold as it can. Once I got everything together, I plan to take it to a station to have it evacuated, then I can charge it myself. Mainly because no one around here will let you "bring your own" Freon. They want to charge you $100 - $150 a pound for it.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
As to how to flush the condensor and evaporator dont know that one I havent done. But most of the crud from the system should be in the receiver and the h block. You said your replacing the hoses that eliminates those. Best of luck

Wyatt

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Just because that seal on the compressor is not leaking does not mean that it still may or may not be on the verge of mechanical wear out! It may be wearing down to the point that the shear particals from the pistons could be contaminating the lines with crud! I would take the compressor and change that at this time. Yah, its another expense sure, but what do you do when it craps out a month or two after all that expensive new freon is now installed? Do you have a freon recovery unit to remove it an then change the compressor then? I'm not down on your case, just don't want to see you change everything except the compressor and then have it trash out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts