Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I've been a lurker till now but I can't find what I'm looking for in the search. I've seen it mentioned that you can convert your a/c to an onboard air compressor and I was wondering if there was a faq somewhere or if somebody knows how to do it. Havn't been able to find anything conclusive on the site yet. By the way I have a '78 Trailduster Sport. I just put on a new RPM Performer intake manifold, a 600cfm manual choke Edelbrock Performer carb, Hedman headers, true dual exhaust goes straight from headers to flowmaster delta flow 40 series mufflers. I took off the a/c pump and the air pump isn't hooked up to anything. Then I saw somebody mention converting thier a/c pump to an air compressor and I couldn't find anything about it. So thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
The air pump probably will never put out enough air pressure to be useful as an air compressor. You can convert an AC compressor though to an air compressor. The RV2 that chrysler used for years, you probably removed it, and the york compressor both work great. Do not use a rotory or saden compressor. They do not have a resorvoir for oil and use the oil flowing through the AC lines to lubricate them. When you remove the AC lines you remove the oil and have to rig up some way to lubricate the compressor then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts