Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a `77, and I am not refering to the oil that the A/C system uses. I am curious as to what oil the compressor takes in its tiny oil pan.

I heard 30w once, but I am not sure enough to just go and put it in there.

-Jon

·
7,995 Posts
It uses the same oil as the rest of the system.

Factory Service Manual Sayeth
Use only high quality, wax-free (300 SUS at 100 degrees) refrigeration oil (MOPAR Part# 1450769 or equivalent is recommended).
Now this also depends on whether the system uses R-12(original) or it has been converted to R-134A Freon. In addition you will need to make or purchase a dipstick to use in the compressor crankcase to check the level...if the level is too low the compressor will fail mechanically..if the level is too high you will get poor cooling from the system.
DO NOT use motor oil and you can get the A/C oil at NAPA.:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Definitely do not put 10W-30 in it. I'm not sure myself but I've heard that the 70's chrysler A/C compressor doesn't convert well to R-134 (supposedly the 134 destroys O-rings or something) anyone else have info on that?

·
7,995 Posts
RockWannabe77 said:
Definitely do not put 10W-30 in it. I'm not sure myself but I've heard that the 70's chrysler A/C compressor doesn't convert well to R-134 (supposedly the 134 destroys O-rings or something) anyone else have info on that?
Converting to 134 requires a bit work to do it properly. Replacement of o-rings with a different material, changing to a different type of oil, etc. Here's a couple of sites that should have more info...I would also say that the old RV2 A/C compressor runs much better on R-12 and would pay the extra money to have it filled with re-cycled or new R12.
www.ackits.com
www.aircondition.com

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well this thread had turned in a suprising direction, though not that I am complaining because I have been considering having the system converted.

I will have to look into those links tomorrow night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts