Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone here might know if the brake booster off a 91 d150 may fit at 71 dart or could be made to work? it looks like they make adapters to run the newer style master cylinders on the dart booster but info on boosters seem to be limited. mainly wanting the dart to be mobile till i can get the booster rebuilt. i got 2 d150 boosters/master cylinders sitting around which is why i was hoping it might work or be made to work with minimal work.

·
Registered
31,035 Posts
it,ll probably fit [ bolting up ] but size wise it might be to big

there is a post on here about boosters for Cars that fit trucks but there smaller [ it was week or so ago ]

·
Registered
31,035 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. i don't think size would be an issue since it has a slant 6. really just want to do something temporarily to get by. till i can get it rebuilt. the brakes really suck without the booster.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,307 Posts
Anything will work as long as it bolts up. You just have to put it in and try. You might have brake rod issues though (the length of it and/or Its compatibility with other masters)

·
Administrator
61,801 Posts
The connection at the brake pedal will likely be the big challange. On the trucks, they changed from a bolt to a stud and clip, and of course they changed the size of the hole on the booster rod.

I cannot remember the details, as I ended up swapping pedals.

When you get to it, you can consider getting a bushing or new pin made, if you know a good machine shop. Or cut the rod off the old booster, and weld it to the rod on the new booster. Maybe consider threading, and using a coupler, then welding it so it cannot unthread.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
could have probably made it work but i am just going to run it as is for now. decided to install the new master cylinder for now and it helps but it also shows why the booster failed. the old master cylinder leaked brake fluid into the booster which made it fail. i think it stops a bit better with the new master cylinder after bleeding the brake again.

·
Administrator
61,801 Posts
Keep an eye on it, could be the booster is what caused the master to fail, by having a vacuum leak which sucked the brake fluid through the rear seal on the master.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to the research I have done that is not usually what happens. Usually the leaky master causes the booster to to fail since there is a vent between the 2. I currently don't have vacuumed hooked up to the booster. Just running manual brakes

·
Administrator
61,801 Posts
Good. I did not know that.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just throwing this out there , if there was a vent would not the fluid just leak out and not ruin the booster
No the vent is there for the booster to pull air through when using the braked but if the master is leaking it will just suck brake fluid through the booster. There was pools of brake fluid sitting in the booster when I replaced the master cylinder. Got out as much as possible but it was too late.

·
Administrator
61,801 Posts
I think the rubber seals also just deteriorate over time. The few I took apart, were dry inside, just \had the seals crumbling.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe but I have heard brake fluid can soften rubber which is likely ok in some cases but not for the brake booster. Pretty sure it would damage certain seals because they could become too soft

·
Administrator
61,801 Posts
They do make brake fluid resistant rubber. I would think (but not bet on it), that it would be used for the booster seals.

The ones I took apart were dry inside, just had dead rubber seals.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i doubt they would use brake fluid resistant rubber in the booster. it is not like master cylinders fail and let fluid into the booster often. i would guess it only happens when you let the vehicle sit for a long time like this dart has done. if your driving it regularly it likely isn't an issue or rarely happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts