Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, It's a '98 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 with a 360 and auto tranny. It only has the rear wheel anti-lock brakes.

The other day the ABS and Brake lights came on. It seems to be braking just fine, the brake pads aren't sticking at all, and it's not low on fluid. I did a visual inspection of the wiring on the brake boxes on the driver side wheel well and the rear pumpkin and everything looks fine.

Does anyone know of a way to check the codes for the brake lights on my truck? My haynes manual has a way to do it for '97 and older, but says newer models must be scanned with a scanning tool. I went to auto zone and they said their scanning tool won't read the codes for the brake system, only the engine.

Any help will be appreciated greatly, and I'll answer any questions you may have about it to the best of my ability.

·
7,995 Posts
Have you tried pulling the rear sensor out and see if it's loaded with metal particles? someone else may know a way to get the codes but I think you have to have a breakout box/special scanner to activate the brake computer codes.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
See if your speedo is acting up too. Like not moving when you first start rolling then the speedo will jump up. If it does that then the rear sensor is going bad and just replace it. Its actually a fairly common problem for the rear speed sensor to go bad.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll check that out today. The speedo may be acting odd, but i didn't pay much attention to it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldn't find anything relating to my problem in the TSB's, but I only scanned it quickly.

I went for a ride watching the speedo, and it is messed up. It stays at zero until it hits about 25 mph, then it jumps up and appears to work fine after that. So I'm guessing it's that speed/abs sensor on the rear pumpkin.

So now I have a new problem. I went to advanced , auto zone, and another store that they said should have it, and none of them do. Is this a dealer only part? If so does anyone have a part number for it? Or if someone has found it at a different parts store, what store was it and what did they call it?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, i'll call them tonight.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Your truck did exactly what my bro's 99 Dakota R/T did. I told the dealer and he had the speed sensor in stock. Its common enough problem that the dealer will have it in stock.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Wow....identical problem w/my mom's 98 Ram...no speedo until about 25mph, great brakes, ABS & BRAKE lights in the dash stay lit....
Glad I read this thread!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check the fuses. My dad has the same truck in a 97 model. Did the same thing w/the lights, but no speedo problems. I checked the fuses visually. All looked well. After price checking some possible parts went back w/ a test light. Sure enough the ABS fuse had a hair line crack.New fuse, new glasses all is well!

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Called 'Zone today on the speed sensors, one is $28, the other is $40 depending on which of the 2 it has. Didn't ask if they had them in stock though.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
This VSS we're talking about...it IS the one on the rear pumpkin (like right behind the gas tank), correct? I tried a bit to unplug the damn thing, but that shield or whatever is in the way. Just want to make sure I'm unplugging the right sensor...

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Personally i prefer to stick with the dealer parts for speed sensors,and quite often the price isnt much more than aftermarket parts

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok I'm having the same problem. I have a 2000 1500 auto. I checked my haynes manual and it says the vss is on the extension of the tranny. I changed it out with one from autozone but still having same problem. Have another one coming, the one I got had the box open. Any other ideas?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts