Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 ???i cant seem to fix my truck Ive done everything i can think of.   it doesn't do it all the time but at idle it have a random timing but when i rev it up timing is right on.   if i just let it idle  withen a few minuets it starts to lob like it has a cam in it and then i heir a sucking sound from under the hood  and it has no power any more and really really bad gas mileage  and it keeps doing it if i don't rev it up it will just idle off and die. its got a 360 with a auto trany. Ive replaced my idle air control and the throttle position sencer and the map sencer Ive re timed the motor new pugs and wires and cap and rotare  but idk what elts to go after now it doesn't throw a code,  and i don't think its my timing chain   its just one day it started doing this and it just keeps getting wores. if you could help my it would make my life so much less stress full :) ???

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Those engines do not have adjustable timing. If you have loosened the distributor for any reason, you will now have to perform a cam resynch procedure. I repeat, timing is not adjustable. If the distributor was turned at all, it has been screwed up.

Sucking noises tend to be from vacuum leaks.

Now you will need to do a few things. Check for vacuum leaks. Hook a gauge to intake manifold, use your favorite spray to spray in various parts of the intake. Also pinch/plug various hoses to see if that changes in reading/engine sound.
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/vacuum1.swf

Then you will also have to properly reset the tampered distributor.

You will also need a factory service manual so simple mistakes like the distributor are not done again.
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DFSM98_CD

·
Registered
29,359 Posts
you need to get to a shop to put a scanner on it and read LIVE data / looking thru my data base it could be a number of things that could cause your problem / intake belly pan gasket - an 02 sensor on its way out - cam and or crank sensor go,in bad  or it could be as simple as dirty battery terminals

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i didnt move the distributer they had the fireing order off but ive took it down and had the dealership pug it in to there computer and nothing came up  but thanks for the help ill try the o2 sencers ive replaced one allready but ill try the other one  and the sucking is from the idle air controll sencer opening all the way up for some reason  and i have good vacume but ill look into the o2 sencers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and i forgot the truck has thrown a code be for about the time it started doing this the code was for  a missfire on cylinder 6  so i cleaned the pug and it threw another one cylinder 1 and 8 so i replaced the coil thinking it would help but it didn't now its not throwing any codes and no check engine but i can hear it popping in the exhaust and its dropping on one every now and then it really starts to drop bad when the lobing and the sucking sound starts.  Ive just never had a problem with a truck i couldn't figure out its just got me stumped

1 - 6 of 6 Posts