Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 46RE at a local yard.  Its from a 98 truck.  I have a 95 with a bad 46RH, can I swap em and just swap valve bodies?  I know the electronics is the difference.  Could I swap the 98 computer into the 95 and run the engine and trans?

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
I doubt swapping the computers will allow you to run a '98 trans since it is an OBII era computer.  From what I have read on here that computer wants to talk to a whole bunch of stuff before it allows anything to happen, like both O2 sensors, vapor canister etc.

Swapping valve bodies might work I have no idea.  Does the 46RE have provisions for kickdown linkage and shift arm in the trans case?  Those parts of the valve body go through the outer case. 

Like I said I am just typing off the top of my cranium.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
766 Posts
Study the two transmissions. I compared my dad's 99 to a 96 I had and my dad's didn't have the speed sensor on the transmission, it's on the rear end. More than the valve bodies are different. To make it work correctly you're probably have to swap the computer, wiring harness, and some sensors to make the transmission work.

I'd say that anything is possible, but is it worth it is the real question.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would just rebuild the RH. Its a lot easier than trying to swap everything including wiring harnesses.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
The 46RH is hydraulically controlled and the 46RE is electronically controlled.  Your '95 model does not have any of the components needed to control the 46RE.

G

·
As has been said, it won't work. The OD internals are different as well so basic parts swaps won't work. If you were a whiz with computers you could use the OBDII PCM, but it's easier to rebuild your RH, plus you will have new guts, instead of a junkyard unknown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts