Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all I could use your help and please no arguing lol…. Ok so my rig is up on jack stands …. The 46RE is ready to come out and there’s a 46RH sitting on the ground ready to go in….. Regardless of difficulty please share the steps necessary to make this successful… thank you

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Welcome to RCC! What rig do you have? Year make model engine? That will be helpful to those in the know.

·
Registered
13,336 Posts

·
Registered
29,116 Posts
theres nothing you gotta do to install the RH other than installing it as it,ll bolt right in

NOW / computer wise your go,ing backwards , to reverse engineer the wiring and fool the PCM aint gonna be easy

NOW are you absolutely sure a 1996 has a RE

·
Premium Member
13,509 Posts
yep need your current chassis set up, year, model etc to help provide the best options for retaining command and control of the RH. Meanwhile, are you wanting the truck or a computer etc. to manage the shifting of the overdrive and lockup 'automatically', or are you wanting to have manual control of the OD and LU via toggle switches? The automatic route is doable, and I'd recommend using 2x B&M electronic controllers (1 each for the OD and LU which engage as speeds of your choosing) driven by a mechanical speedo cable. The manual route is much simpler - use a toggle switch to manually 'select' when the OD and LU engage/disengage.

·
Administrator
60,208 Posts
I know a 97 will not let the engine make full power if it does not see the RE trans. Around town, it is not bad, but the highway you will be slowing down on almost every hill. Forget about towing.

You will need another way to get into overdrive, and the TQ lockup. The computer will not send the signals.

·
Super Moderator
29,546 Posts
1996 should not have a 46RE.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,509 Posts
1996 should not have a 46RE.
it could - the diesels did, but that doesn't mean the gassers also switched at the same time...

·
Premium Member
13,509 Posts
It looks like Dodge82273 is on the right path (?)
I tried the 'Hobbs switch' method a long time ago and it did not work nearly as well as advertised - none of the shift points were 'specific' - very random if it shifted at all. I would not recommend that method - B&M or toggles.

Reactions: RCCADMAN

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
96 was first year of obd 2 and thus 46re.
-This is how I would do it
1.get a manual tranny ecm AND FSM to duplicate the wiring difference from auto to manual
2. find a kickdown cable and matching lever from a 92-95 5.2/5.9 vehicle
3. you didnt say what year your 46rh was so dont know on lockup. You're kind of left with the methods from patc as said above
-

·
Registered
13,336 Posts
use the adjustable pressure switches advertized , set the shift points where you want them place lever in D and drive as normal , ounce adjusted .

·
Registered
29,116 Posts
from what l found out is it may or may not have a RE , depends on how it was ordered new
the FSM lists both tranny's as being used

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
96 was first year of obd 2 and thus 46re.
-This is how I would do it
1.get a manual tranny ecm AND FSM to duplicate the wiring difference from auto to manual
2. find a kickdown cable and matching lever from a 92-95 5.2/5.9 vehicle
3. you didnt say what year your 46rh was so dont know on lockup. You're kind of left with the methods from patc as said above
-
Awesome thank you all

·
Registered
13,336 Posts
on a 46rH there are 2 electrical connectors one goes on horizontally , has 3 wires and is the neutral safety switch , the other goes on vertically , likely has 3 wires ( sometimes only 2 )and is the power and 2 grounds for overdrive and lock up converter . the 46rE has the neutral safety AND a cluster of wires on another connector .....

·
Registered
29,116 Posts
heres the scoop if YOUR tranny thats in the truck right now has a SMALL two or three prong plug its a RH / if it has a LARGE 8 prong plug its a RE [ see diagrams ]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts