Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with this generation of truck have a leveling kit installed? I am looking to add one to my 01 so I can put a newer set of factory 5 spoke 20's like below:

I found someone locally who was selling a set and did a test fitment. It was very close. I could see it possibly rubbing during mild suspension flex, so I declined to buy at the time. This was with the factory rim and tire takeoff set. I would like to do a 3" lift in the future, but I will have to wait until the kids are old enough to climb in. I promised the wife ;D

Randall

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
I thought of doing one, but my diesel springs are a bit on the stiff side, and have considered installing gasser lift springs under it, so I don't have much 1st hand feed back.

Not really sure what you are wondering, thousands have done it, often the front will actually sit a little high, depending on the truck, and coil spring removal is nothing too complicated, and it is not going to change your ride much if at all.

It will usually make caster worse (pinion angle better) which makes for sloppy steering, but a conservative lift is not going to throw anything so far out of whack that you cannot align it.

These guys have a wide variety for cheap:
http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/products.php?S_ID=56

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I guess I did leave my question out of the post above.  Sorry bout that.

I was wondering about results, ease of installation, ride quality, etc.  The link you posted has them starting at 1".  I was looking at 2", but definately don't want the front end sitting higher than the rear.  It sits lower right now.  If someone had done a 2" and could tell me that was too much, then I would probably go with a 1.5".  I just had an alignment done. But luckily I got a lifetime alignment, so I could take it back anytime and get it redone.  Would I need to have it checked, even if the steering wheel still lined up going down the road?  I guess I just want to get all the kinks worked out before I get the wheels and tires on there, instead of chasing down problems after I see the results of the problem.

Randall

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Caster is the amount of angle (when looking at a wheel from the side of truck) that the top ball joint tilts towards the firewall or towards the bumper.

They are almost never straight above each other, if you notice, the top ball joint is almost ALWAYS inclined towards the firewall.

When you lift a linked suspension of this sort, the angle may rotate slightly towards the bumper (BAD!)

You will not be able to see anything from the tires. It doesn't necessarily change any tilt (camber) or toe in/toe out. Everything appears the same. Suddenly you notice parking lot driving becomes smoother. You take it out on the highway, get up to about 50mph and it's shimmying all over the place and wandering on it's own. Even worse, maybe some "wobble". You slow down, it won't go away until a complete stop. That *could* be indication of improper caster. If it is different from side to side, it will also have a pull. That may be a good thing for road crown.

Check with the alignment shop, I am seeing a LOT of shops who will not touch an altered suspension, due to liability. Weird, because that could be a real money maker. Others just don't care and will align almost anything.

No one can tell you how YOUR truck will sit, because it's a dodge and they all sit a little different. I was looking at oem ram 1500 (94-01) spring specs and seems to be I saw atleast 10 different 4x4 ram 1500 factory springs, each having different lifts and spring rates. Just for 1/2 ton 4x4s.

Just the chance you take, keeping in mind you might be doing an add-a-leaf or skinny block to level the leveling kit.

G

·
I have installed 3 of these and they are super simple.
remove the shock and shock tower
Remove the sway bar end links and lower the axle and remove the springs.
You will need longer shocks with the spacer and I highly recommend going with the  bilstein shocks. They have better valving than any of the others.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
gmule said:
I highly recommend going with the bilstein shocks. They have better valving than any of the others.
Many people have said the same exact thing.

I think this should be the correct one
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BILSTEIN-BE5-6681

The Bilstein 5100 (6681) shows fitting a wide variety of dodges 94-atleast 2005, and up to 3-4" lift, 1500,2500,3500.

Since that website is devoted to turbodiesels and only sell a few specific products that they recommend, it is a little harder to confirm they fit 1500s. Summit racing and a few other sites show that 6681 fitting 1500s, but you know how web fitment guides are.

·
29,552 Posts
I put 2" Skyjacker coils on my 2000. They were cheaper than the spacers and made it ride less mushy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Define 'mushy'.

Randall

·
29,552 Posts
It was just too soft, and bouncy (of course shocks played a part in that). The front axle would bottom out on speed bumps. Unacceptable.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see.  Mine really isn't all that mushy.  Haven't bottomed out on anything yet.  Maybe that means I'm just not driving it hard enough? ;D  I'll look into the new shocks.  Thanks.

Randall

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.