Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I’ve read this somewhere but for the life of me I can’t find this info, maybe I’m searching wrong.

Anyways, will the dash in a 93 fit in an 85? If so will I need to modify anything? I’m assuming the harnesses are different, but what about steering column, do I need to swap that whole thing over too? I know the windshield has to come out which is fine since I’m replacing that seal anyways.

Also, are the fenders the same? My 85 has only one single dent on the whole vehicle and it’s on the fender, so if they fit, I’m thinking of swapping that too.

Last I can think of now, are the seatbelts the same? I’m assuming those didn’t really change.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
For all intents and purposes, it's the same dash.  The instrument bezel will be different as the later models have the idiot lights in where the little cubby hole is on the older bezels.  The wiring will be different as the newer instrument panel uses a voltmeter instead of a ammeter and an electronic speedometer instead of the old mechanical style.  There are a lot of changes in the steering column as things like the hi-beam switch and wipers are now on the stalk and the actual hi-beam and ignition switch is at the base of the column controlled by linkage rods.  So, possible to swap, but a lot of differences as well.  If you keep the '93 harness, the bulkhead is also different and you can pretty much guarantee the majority of the wiring locations are different, so plan on a fair amount of rewiring and/or terminal swapping.

Sheetmetal is all pretty much the same except for the core support.  Beware of rust under the fender flares of the '93 if equipped.  It likes to hide there.  Seatbelts are basically the same.  Rear belts in a '93 Ramcharger will be shoulder belts, a decent upgrade if you have the ability to properly reinforce the inner roof panel to anchor the shoulder belt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. And what about the engine harness? I’m guessing there’s a couple differences, but are they overall compatible? Assuming they’re both from a 360 that is.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
The engine harness is going to be drastically different.  An '85 engine is carbureted and a '93 engine will be mutilport EFI.  '85 will be an LA series engine, '93 will be a Magnum series.  It will all physically swap, but it is much, much more work.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
you will find that the firewall bulkhead connectors are different , 1 they are not compatable ( won't plug into each other ) 2 a small difference in size / shape corrrectable with a die grinder . I'd change out BOTH dash harness AND the engine harness , it's time not technical ...

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
mjw011689 said:
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. And what about the engine harness? I'm guessing there's a couple differences, but are they overall compatible? Assuming they're both from a 360 that is.
Treat the older truck as a shell and install all the newer truck's stuff. I'm putting all the harness, column, dash guts, etc. from my '90 D250 donor into an '84 2wd ramcharger. I had to move the harness hole in the firewall to make room for the hyd clutch. Otherwise plug and play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.