Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a starter from a 93, shouldn't this work in an 86? I have put it in but get the single click and nothing when I turn the key. I jumped it to the battery, got the same thing. Is it possible that the new starter is too far in so it doesn't reach the end of it's shaft to turn the engine over?
Tim

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounded like the gear was extending (my click...maybe that's a clunk) not a click click click deal. It is a new starter I got from a buddy up the block...guess I'll yank it and see what it does by jumping it. Maybe I'll check the relay first to be sure...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My original theory was correct, the starter was too far in. I looosened the bolt and gave her a whirl and she fired right up (pretty loud too with no mufflers). So I have to find a way to shim the starter out. Any ideas? I am thinking something likr roofing tar paper or something, but I dont know if that'll smoke. Maybe I can get some gasket maker or something.
With the good, comes the bad...my stud I had to tap out in the head started leaking...I will try a new one coated in some red RTV and cross my fingers for that one.

Tim

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
do you have the starter shim plate in there / its a semi round looking thing that fits the bolts and the starter fits thru it / dodge starters DO NOT need shims but they do need that shim plate

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
I was gonna ask how much too far the starter is in if you only need something as thick as tar paper or gasket material to shim with. what about just using some washers between the starter and the bellhousing on the tranny?
rodney

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then weather is an issue...and mud. I wouldn't want all that crap getting into the starter body and the all in the engine. I also can't see any shim plate, but maybe I can find one.
Didn't have too much time to get into it today...but I started it up a couple of times just to here her with no mufflers, sounds pretty cool...but I doubt it would all the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.