Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, need some help here.

I just finished replacing the fuel pump in my 93 5.9 RC.  When I try to start it now, it runs for about 2 seconds or less and dies.  If I stomp on the gas pedal while I'm trying to start it, I can get it to lope along, not really running, but not quite dying for a few more seconds.

I suspected that perhaps the new fuel pump was faulty in some way, or that I had pinched a line or something when I put it in.  But a fuel pressure check at the rail shows it to be right where it should be. 

My next thought was perhaps bad gas.  I put about 8 gallons back in the tank that I had siphoned out before I dropped the tank.  The gas sat in 2 regular 5-gallon red gas cans for about 2 months.  I wouldn't think that just 2 months would have deteriorated the fuel so that it wouldn't run.    Using my pressure tester, I filled a small jar with gas from the release valve at the fuel rail, and it looks clear of any debris, and after sitting in a jar for a couple hours, I don't see any water settling out of it.

Next step I guess is to drain those 8 gallons back out and load some fresh fuel and see if it makes a difference, but I'm not sure that will do it.

The thing is that it was running fine when I parked it to replace the pump.  The old pump actually worked fine, but there were 2 leaking seals, one on the pump and one one between the pump and the tank.  They don't sell the seals separately, so I had to buy a whole new pump.    I didn't mess with anything under the hood while doing this job, except for the battery.  I forgot to disconnect it before I worked on it, and it was dead when I finished, so I just popped a new, but smaller, battery in there.  However, this battery turns the engine over just fine, many times. 

Any thoughts?  I did pull the air cleaner to make sure there were no bird nests, cobwebs or any other accumulated debris that might have ended up there because it sat for 2 months.

Help!

Jon

·
Registered
29,389 Posts
you might have the right fuel pressure with key on / but whats it do,ing while it trys to run / does it drop off

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the same thought, like maybe the fuel flow was restricted, and the pressure would drop when it was flowing.  But no, pressure stays steady while it's trying to run.

G

·
2 months sittin'? Have you checked your intake for a  belly pan leak? Look down into the throttle body with a flashlight. If you see an oily mess you need a new gasket. 

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
gen1dak said:
2 months sittin'? Have you checked your intake for a belly pan leak? Look down into the throttle body with a flashlight. If you see an oily mess you need a new gasket.
Would just the belly pan leaking cause a no run situation? I would lean more towards a no spark or falling off spark situation.

I would start by checking for spark. I f it sat that long, you could have corrosion somewhere in the ignition system or something with in the"brain" has died.

G

·
Mine did. It started having difficulty running, then got to where it'd fire and die immediately. It'd need aggressive throttle to keep it running and it was impossible to control when in drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's the stupid simple things that drive you nuts....    After seeing the opinions that it was spark or electrical related, I ran back over everything with a fine tooth comb, and found a small wire near the battery that was supposed to be grounded.  It had become disconnected when I swapped out the battery.  I'm not sure what it grounds, but it obviously has something to do with maintaining spark, or perhaps it's related to a sensor or something.

But Bingo, once that ground was reconnected, it fired right up and runs like a champ.

I hate it when I overlook something so simple!!

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
jfellows46 said:
It's the stupid simple things that drive you nuts.... After seeing the opinions that it was spark or electrical related, I ran back over everything with a fine tooth comb, and found a small wire near the battery that was supposed to be grounded. It had become disconnected when I swapped out the battery. I'm not sure what it grounds, but it obviously has something to do with maintaining spark, or perhaps it's related to a sensor or something.

But Bingo, once that ground was reconnected, it fired right up and runs like a champ.

I hate it when I overlook something so simple!!
Good job man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.