Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a tune up (plugs, wires,air filter) I also had the battery cables off the battery to clean things up. I've had the battery out before and it usualy takes about a 10 mile drive for the computer to get it's act together afterwards. This time it's not working. When cold the engine works fine, after the heat gage gets up to the point that the lock-up convertor works it will not idle, just dies. If I keep my foot on the gas a little there is no problem and it runs just fine down the road. Any ideas out there would sure be welcome.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
MAN THIS SOUNDS FAMILIAR. I THINK WE ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. MINE DOES IT IN HIGH ALTITUDE ONLY. GOING ALONG AT 70 AND THEN, TRUCKS DEAD ::). YOU COULD START FIRST BY MAKING SURE THE TIMING IS SET RIGHT.UNPLUG THE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR AND SEE IF THE IDLE CHANGES. DOES YOURS HAVE THE IDLE AIR SENSOR ON THE T/B ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
My 92 was doing the same thing. I have a 5.2L MPI engine. It turned out to be the AIS. Also known as ISC.
AIS = Automatic Idle Speed Motor
ISC = Idle Speed Controller

This mounts to the back of the throttle body and is fairly easy to replace. ( I am a tech for Ford. I do them all day long ) If you have the factory service manual it shows you how to replace. If not then the one that you can buy at pep boys should also show you how.

My truck could be fine for weeks and then just would not idle at all (unless I would two foot the gas and brake) and it made this hiss noise at the same time, then 5 mins later would be fine. Since I replaced ISC it has been fine for over a year. Fords are famous for this. We call it IAC - Idle air controller. I got the factory ISC and it cost me about $ 48.00 my cost. List price was around $ 67.00. I can't say this is your problem without diagnosing but if you just one to try something that would be my first guess. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rts4406

You pegged the problem, it was the Idle Air Control. I should have realized this because I had to replace it about 2 years ago. This time it was covered in grime and oil, probably because of the oil in the K & N filter. Cleaned everything up and it works like a new one. Guess I'll have to cut down on the oil for the filter. Thanks for the help, it's always appreaciated.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts