Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
93 Grand Am quad4 has been over heating in the past and I believe this was due to a busted head gasket. well a few month ago I started the car and it seem to be running fine, no over heating. The car has been sitting for a bit, and it need some coolent so I put that in and now it wont start and the smell of antifreeze is coming out the tail pipe. Does this mean it's not going to start at all and am I going to have to take it apart to put on a gasket?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so, its been cooling down for about an hour and i tried starting it again, it took a minute, it started roughly and it seemed like the idle was way to high. I'll look at it more later.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
the quad 4 is my least favorite engine on the road the heads on that one are no fun to get off. check for watter in the oil. my experiance is the water pump goes, its driven off the timing chain and hidden on the back of the engine. then it starts over heating and doesnt blow the head gasket it cracks the head. i hope you dont have this problem but ive done 5 of them like that. sorry if this doesnt help
Wyatt

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I got stuck doing more than my share of Quad 4's as well.. Start finding places to put the dynomite. I'd gotten to the point of pulling the head off in no time, I was being blessed with several of them last summer when I was helping out at my brother in laws garage. Now.. if someone says GrandAm, and tells him Quad 4.. He tells them he doesn't want anything to do with it.. Not even maintenance.. Wants them to stay away from his shop completely.
Aaron Wyse

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is a cracked head, is this a somewhat simple job and where would I go for info to do this kind a job myself? The repair book?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
yeah pretty much what they said. water in the exhaust is gonna be caused by water getting in the ocmbustion chamber.

this is gonna happen one of 2 ways, it is either a blown head gasket (if you are lucky) or more than likely as these guys said it is gonna be a cracked head.

i hate aluminum heads{angry]

eric

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I love aluminum heads.. But those things are just toooo fragile. They'll crack so quick. Be very careful not to overtorque or strip out all the misc bs that mounths to the head on there.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
it involves removing all the acessorys ac/ps etc. motor mounts... two of them if memory serves the timing cover, the chain then the head comes off in three parts. each cam has its own mini head then the head comes off.i beleve im missing steps its been a while since ive done one. get a manuel ans see ive you want to try it yourself. i would recomend taking this one to a pro. like i said there no fun
Wyatt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.