Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 93 4wd dakota with 5.2 for some trailriding.I picked it up for $400 after the owner's son ran a stop sign and T boned a car at 25 MPH.So while I've been fixing the front end I've noticed that the transmission pan  gasket is leaking.I figure that while I have it appart I might as well change the filter and adjust the bands.But I've ran into a small snag.The transmission pan does not have a drain plug so I am wondering what is the best way to take it off without taking an atf bath?

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
...having been in this very situation before a few times, I've always planned on installing a drain plug kit, and because of that I just grab a sharp steel chisel and punch a nice small hole in a corner about 2 inches in, then clean up the hole and drill it out to the proper size for the drain plug kit {cool}

The trans plug kits are similar to these - Dorman 65128 - https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/dorman-help--4422/agriculture-hd-parts---accessories-19818/fleet---heavy-duty-20088/heavy-duty-engine-equipment-20115/oil-pan-dipsticks--plugs---hardware-17564/b442687b0610/dorman-help-drain-plug-kit/65128/4529396

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
That or carefully loosen the bolts and pry one side down. One of these really helps:

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
There is a way to drain a lot of the fluid out, but unless you are prepared for it, it's still going to cause a huge mess.  But, if you pull the neutral starter switch, you can drain the fluid down to that point, which is just over the pan level, but beware, it's going to come shooting out that hole like a freight train.  But if done right, it can prevent the whole "pan pops open and dumps everything at once" sort of thing if you aren't familiar with the technique of cracking open the pan a little at a time.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a manual fluid transfer pump that will pump oil.What size tube could fit down the dipstick tube if possible?Pumping out the atf seems alot more controlled than carefully prying the pan.Not to mention with my luck the pan would need a couple taps with a hammer to come loose, which would kinda be a "everything on the ground in 0.01 seconds" situation.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Nah, you leave the bolts in the pan when draining.  Take all the bolts out of the pan on one side, then take the bolts on the sides loose enough to pry the pan down slightly.  Unfortunately this allows the ATF to flow out of the pan over a wide area, but that is where the big pan "funnel" I posted above comes in handy.  If working on a lift, it's pretty easy to get it done without too much of a mess, but on the ground on a creeper I can see it getting very crowded under there with that thing.

But pumping the fluid out could be the way to go if you have a hose that will fit down the dipstick tube.  Either way you do it, it's a bit of a pain and this whole problem is why a lot of people are like Mad Max and either swap to a pan with a drain or add a drain to the existing pan while it's off.

·
Super Moderator
30,043 Posts
Yep, nothing's changed either, I just did my first fluid change on my 2015, no drain plug. I also failed worse than usual controlling the flood, it came out of the opposite corner that I was intending.

Of course, I installed a drain plug.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
is there even a dip stick on the new ones? some you "just" use your laptop/scan tool to check the fluid level ....

·
Super Moderator
30,043 Posts
dodge82273 said:
is there even a dip stick on the new ones? some you "just" use your laptop/scan tool to check the fluid level ....
Yes, the current trucks have dipsticks.

Shout out to Subaru, my Outback has a drain plug.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While I am here what transmission cooler line is the output?The truck has a large cooler infront of the radiator and I would like to set it up so fluid fills up the cooler from the bottom then returns out the top.

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
...99.99% sure the front line is the output to the cooler(s)…

- Sam

·
Registered
368 Posts
I use a Pella fluid extractor to drain the pan, then pull it off without a mess. Mine is the 6qt model and works well for small engine oil changes or just about any fluid that needs to be removed

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well,The sides of the pan are out due to the close proximity to the exhaust,crossmembers,and the engine.Then the bottom is out is because 1) I dont know where exactly the fiter is in relation to pan and 2) the bottom of the pan is completely flat so there is nowhere where I could put a drain plug and it would drain all of the oil.

·
Super Moderator
30,043 Posts
RedneckInTraining said:
well,The sides of the pan are out due to the close proximity to the exhaust,crossmembers,and the engine.Then the bottom is out is because 1) I dont know where exactly the fiter is in relation to pan and 2) the bottom of the pan is completely flat so there is nowhere where I could put a drain plug and it would drain all of the oil.
I was referring to abranz post.

That said, in your situation, pump it if you can, or just do the usual controlled flood method, THEN install a drain plug so it is there for the next time. As far as location of the plug, it doesn't really matter, as long as it doesn't interfere with the filter, you can figure that out once the pan is out. Also, it doesn't matter of you if you drain all of it out (you can't anyway because the drain plug sticks up almost half an inch. All you need to do is get the bulk of it drained then lower the pan with about a half inch of fluid in it.....just keep it level as possible when you pull it out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Only reason I use the pella to suck it out is because I have one and it prevents me from an atf bath. Agree that putting in a drain plug is a great idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.